25. feels like the end

CHAPTER TWENTY—FIVE

DAEMERYS had never been in the Dragonmont, her father spoke of it but she had always been too busy learning to fight with Corlys to bother with things that she never thought would concern her

DAEMERYS had never been in the Dragonmont, her father spoke of it but she had always been too busy learning to fight with Corlys to bother with things that she never thought would concern her. Nerves filled her as she stepped into the shadowy entrance — the hand that held the torch trembled and she swallowed the lump of nervousness that had bubbled in her throat.

The scent of burning enveloped her as she inched her way into the cave, her heart began racing and breathing became heavy. The light of her torch bounced off the walls of the caves as she walked, the light making it easier to walk through the darkness. She felt pulled like she had in her dreams, reminding her why she was there. For Daemon, her child who she never got to hold, never got to mother.

Her pulse pounded and her blood raced as she realised her dragon was calling to her. Daemerys felt her breathing become strained and the sound of her footsteps echoed all around her. Despite the fact that her purpose had barely began, the tunnel was heated, making her skin hot and caused her to start sweating.

Daemerys was filled with a mix of fear and excitement from the idea of finally bonding with a dragon even though she was not a true Targaryen. It made the hairs on her neck stand especially when she paused at the first alcove, Daemerys peaked inside to find Syrax and Caraxes curled up around each other, snoring softly which made light echoes around the cave. At the sound of her light footsteps, the dragons woke but they merely sniffed at her before going back to sleep.

Daemerys smiled a little at them, at their bond. It reminded her of Aemond who laid rotting in the dungeons — she hadn't found it in her to see him. She felt betrayed, she was betrayed and she didn't know how to come back from that or even if she could.

But then again, she lost her child but so had Aemond. Was she being selfish for denying him time to grieve the loss of his son? She didn't know, she was hurting more than Aemond could ever know. She carried their child inside of her, rubbed her belly when he kicked. She felt him, he was a part of her and now her baby was gone.

So much pain for nothing in return.

In the next alcove, Arax was feeding on the lamb he had given. Daemerys walked through and the dragon blinked at her for a moment before attacking his meal once again. Vermax brought his head down to her chest and Daemerys patted it gently as she passed, commanding him to stay calm.