Chapter 5

Panam POV

"She played me." I said, "No I think this was her plan. She left you these." Lucy said as she handed me the shard and button. "Let me inspect the shard, don't want you getting infected with any viruses." she said as she slotted the shard, "It's clean, no hidden malware, just a message." she said as I slotted the shard

[Pan, I know you're probably thinking, "that bitch tricked me!"  or something like that. I joined Arasaka to further Project Centurion, to eliminate crime, to do some good in V's name. Lately, Saka's been keeping tabs on me, more than usual. So when you contacted me, I saw an opportunity to give you valuable information, to kill Centurion. Before I tell you how to kill him you need to know a bit of history.
When I heard that V died, it broke me. I had lost so much and just when I thought there was nothing left for me to lose...I left Seatle after that and went to Day City New York. Back then it was almost as bad as Night City, only they didn't have fixers. Gangs and Merks ran rampant and controlled the city with an iron fist and enough lead to wipe out six cities. At first, Centurion was nothing more than a program I designed to auto-target nonlethal areas to incapacitate combatants. We saw massive success, crime went down to almost zero seemingly overnight! But then Arasaka showed up, they offered us resources that we couldn't pass up. Joining Saka was the worst choice I ever made. He changed after we got back to NC, I guess I did too. V's death hit us both hard, harder than most. He became obsessed with fixing NC, and I willingly let him dive deep into madness. I guess I always knew that eventually, Saka would fuck me over, so I purposely added weak points that are integral to the function of the Centurion exoskeleton. They are located in the joints and the nape of the neck. You can also knock off the suit's protective helmet. 
Know this doesn't make me tricking ya any better, but it's a start, when you're ready to zero him, push the button. It's a panic button and likely when you press it Saka'll kill me. Don't let that stop you. I've accepted my death, so long as you can kill Centurion. Judy.
P.S. Arasaka's keeping tabs on your son. says he'll be a prime candidate for the Devastator program. Please be careful, and watch him.]

"Wow!" I said, "What's up? I didn't read the message didn't feel right." Lucy asked, "She wants me to kill Centurion." I said, "Not happening! That thing is a watered-down Adam Smasher, and you have a son to raise! I'll kill it." she said, "Let's just go home. We can discuss it later. I wanna see (y/n), mind picking him up for me? I wanna get cleaned up before he sees me." I said, "Sure." she said as we left, but Lucy was waiting for the Quadra Avenger to arrive. 

I hated lying to Lucy, but this is something I needed to do on my own. I grabbed a few additional weapons from home and drove out to the old Aldicados camp. "Here goes nothing." I said as I pressed the panic button and loaded my Breakthrough. Minutes later Centurion arrived and once he saw me he prepared to fight. I fired at him and only managed to hit his left elbow joint disabling his left arm before he landed and slashed at me. He stabbed at me and stabbed through my car's engine, I dodged and shot him in the heel hoping to disable his foot, but he slapped me away! I struggled to regain my breath as he approached, "V...V!" I said weakly as he approached drawing a high-powered shotgun, he aimed it at my head and as he fired a car hit him knocking away! I took the chance and used it to stab the joints disabling his limbs. "It's time to end this." I said as I made him kneel, "I wish this could've ended differently, but you're not the man you once were, V." I said calmly as I tore the mask off him and was shocked, "R-River?! I...so he's really dead then." I said sadly, "I will exterminate you and all who stand against me!" he snapped, "Then River Ward is already dead. You're just his corpse." I said as I put Guts to his head, "You would kill me with his gun! Coward!" he yelled as I pulled the trigger and blew off his head and fell flat on my ass in tears, "You...bitch." Lucy said as she got out of the car, "I-I needed it to be him. I NEEDED IT TO BE V!" I cried as she hugged me, "Mama?" (y/n) said as he hugged me, "D-Did he?!" I asked worriedly, "I made sure he didn't see anything." Lucy said softly, "My mommies." (y/n) said as he hugged us, "You only have one mom kiddo, but you'll always have Aunt Lucy." Lucy said as she ruffled his hair, "Let's go home, for real this time, no bullshit." she said sweetly, "Ok, but you're driving." I said as I dried my eyes as we got up, suddenly something crashed into our car! It threw something before the car exploded. We watched in horror as it walked through the flames.

I looked over at what it threw and saw it was Judy! "Y-You did it

I looked over at what it threw and saw it was Judy! "Y-You did it. You saved River." Judy said weakly, "Centurion life signs...negative, operator Judy Álvarez, no longer required." it said as a cannon emerged from its arm, Lucy quickly shielded (y/n)'s eyes as I watched in horror as my friend was executed in front of me, "BASTARD!" I cried as I shot at him with my pistol, but it ignored me and flew off. I continued firing at it even after I ran out of bullets.

I went to Afterlife to see Rogue, "GRANDMAMA!" (y/n) cried as he ran to Rogue, "Hey there kiddo. What's wrong?" Rogue asked, "He saw something horrible." I said, "Let me guess it's got something to do with Centurion?" she said, "How'd you?" I asked, "Saka's abuzz with news that the Centurion's dead, and Destroyer is now free to take its place." she said, "Centurion was that new Adam Smasher we came across. And the man inside was River Ward." I said sadly.