Chapter 8: Goodbye, Max

I walked into my house, feeling relieved and triumphant. I had stood up to Dr. Jones, and I had walked out of her office on my own terms. I was in control of my own life, and I wasn't going to let anyone else dictate my choices.

But as I stepped into the living room, I felt my heart drop. My dog, Max, was lying on the floor, motionless and covered in blood. I rushed over to him, tears streaming down my face. He was dead.

I heard a rustling behind me, and I turned to see Dr. Jones standing in the doorway. She had a smug smile on her face, and she was holding a bloody knife.

"I'm sorry, Sarah," she said. "But you left me no choice. You didn't want my help, so I had to show you that I'm not someone to be messed with."

I was stunned and horrified. Dr. Jones had killed my dog as revenge for me leaving her office. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I grabbed my phone and dialed 911, telling them what had happened. Dr. Jones tried to run, but I managed to grab her and hold her down until the police arrived.

(A week later)

I stood in the courtroom, feeling a mix of emotions. I was nervous, but I was also determined. I was there to testify against Dr. Jones, the therapist who had tried to manipulate and control me. She was on trial for murder after she had killed my dog as revenge for me leaving her office.

The prosecutor asked me to recount what had happened, and I took a deep breath and began to speak. I told the court about my struggles with depression, and how my parents had insisted that I see a therapist. I told them about Dr. Jones, and how she had seemed kind and caring at first.

But then, I told them about how she had started to manipulate me, to dig into my personal life, and to control me. I told them about how I had realized what she was doing, and how I had stood up to her and walked out of her office.

And then, I told them about how she had killed my dog as revenge. I told them about the fear and the pain that I had felt, and how I had managed to hold her down until the police arrived.

I could see the shock and the horror on the faces of the jurors as I spoke. I knew that they were horrified by what Dr. Jones had done and that they would find her guilty.

But I also knew that the trial was just one step in my healing process. I had faced my fears and stood up to my abuser, and I was stronger for it. I was moving on with my life, and I wouldn't let Dr. Jones's actions define me.

As I finished my testimony, I felt a sense of closure. I had faced my abuser and spoken the truth, and I had done everything I could to make sure that she was held accountable for her actions.