Chapter 19 - Suppression

a/n hi, i'm back! i really am so sorry for how long this one took. but i hope you've all had a great month and have been enjoying the holidays.

i hope you enjoy the chapter.

song suggestions:
iloveyou - BETWEEN FRIENDS
Crush - Cigarettes After Sex

find all songs in the Delirium playlist on my spotify. link in my bio!

happy reading!!!

~*~

Everything was ready to go.

It was a perfect little trap Jolie and George had been setting up. And it had all worked out flawlessly.

Professor Sinistra, the Astronomy instructor, had cancelled her lessons for the next two evenings due to inclement weather. Impenetrable cloud cast wasn't exactly beneficial for proper viewings of the stars.

So, from the moment dinner had ended, Jolie and George had been up in the Astronomy Tower.

Since they had only (mostly) confirmed Madeline's affections for Fred the previous evening when they'd all smoked together, she and George's planning likely wasn't as good as it could've been on such short notice.

But, this evening, Madeline and Fred would have a guaranteed moment alone—whether they knew it or not.

Jolie had created a small palette of a duvet that she'd transfigured from a sheet of parchment and a few pillows and pouffes she'd stolen from Trelawney's classroom. Transfiguring the duvet had taken her a couple of tries—but she knew George wouldn't be any help.

Atop the blanket, she set out a canvas bag of dinner rolls, a few Cornish pasties, water, pumpkin juice, and sweets.

Whilst she worked, George had gotten right down to business, charming the lock on the only door that led to the tower.

He was still in his quidditch kit, going to dinner right after practice and coming here just after dinner. But if he was tired, he didn't show it as he worked on the lock.

It was a difficult charm, he'd told her. It was similar to the ward magic he, Fred, and Lee had used to set off the Dung Bombs on Jolie back in September. Only, this one was tougher to initiate.

Instead of the magic simply setting off due to motion, they needed this charm to set off after both Madeline and Fred entered the Tower. The magic itself needed to recognise them.

It was advanced. Complicated and tricky—even for Jolie.

But not too much for George, it seemed.

In the time it had taken her to set up a simple picnic for Madeline and Fred, George had managed to get the charm to stick—testing it on themselves to make sure. Once he was confident it would work, he had waved his wand over the lock again, murmuring incantations that were entirely unfamiliar to Jolie's ears.

And, just like that, he had changed it to recognise Madeline and Fred.

Once they were both inside the Tower, the door would swing shut, locking automatically.

Jolie didn't understand how George had managed such a difficult form of magic, and he was decidedly not very good at explaining it. So she was left to do nothing but watch him in awe. In admiration.

Such an intelligent, clever wizard, executing wards and charms Jolie didn't even know were possible.

In the picnic bag, she had left the two a note that stated the door would only unlock once they became amicable enough with one another. Nothing too presumptuous.