Chapter 62 - Endless Cycle

~final part of four-part update~

He didn't know if it was from the spike of adrenaline he had experienced earlier in the evening from his fight with Graham, or if the whiskey had decided to just stop working its magic, but Theo laid in utter silence for a long, long time.

Too long for him to even consider how much time might've passed.

But of course, it was enough time for him to think over every single moment of that dreaded lunch in Capri. Every cold, cruel word and expression from his father.

And also just long enough to feel the first subtle sways of the boat, likely signalling the small beginnings of a turbulent night.

With a quick glance at the digital clock on his bedside table, Theo saw it was past midnight.

Happy Christmas, then.

For whatever reason, he wondered for just a moment what his father would be doing today. As if they had ever done anything for Christmas even when Theo was home.

The sounds of crashing waves sounded outside as the boat rocked to the right. Next to him, he felt the mattress shudder as Daphne stiffened, the duvet rustling.

When it levelled out again, she flung an arm over her eyes, a soft little groan coming out of her.

"You alright?" Theo whispered.

Daphne jumped, her eyes fluttering open as she propped herself up on her elbows.

"Gods! You scared the life out of me, Theodore!"

"Well, I hope not. I'd be dreadfully sad."

"Shut up," she huffed. "I thought you were asleep."

"I thought you were too."

She said nothing for a moment, just squinting at him as if trying to see through the dark.

Then, she dropped back down, flopping onto her pillow as she asked, "Have you been awake this whole time?"

"Yeah. Have you?"

She sighed. "Yep."

"What've you been thinking about?" he asked.

"Pennywise the clown."

Theo frowned. "O-kay... So, who is—?"

"I don't want to talk about him."

"Right."

"What about you?"

"Hm?"

"What have you been thinking about?" she asked.

Theo let out a long, deep breath. "The crab we ate at dinner."

Daphne snickered. "Crab? That's it?"

"It was king crab. Very memorable."

He heard the rustle of her pillowcase as she turned her head to look at him.

"Tell me what you were actually thinking about," she said.

Theo started to respond with another swift deflection.

"Please, Theodore?" she added quietly.

He stopped.

He hated when she called him that. Daphne was the only one out of their entire friend group that used his whole name. It drove him nuts.

He hoped she never stopped.