Chapter 49 - Hardly Enemies

~ pt. ii of the double update ~

"I need to talk to you."

Carrow's sharp features immediately shifted into a guarded scowl upon Savannah's words.

Apparently, the sudden quiet of her voice and gentile of her countenance must have only irked the Slytherin witch further.

So much for getting her to listen.

"Look," Carrow breathed, "if this is about my—about Amycus and Alecto being at the First Task, I promise you I had no idea that they'd be—"

"What? No, it's not about that," Savannah huffed in surprise, frowning as she waved a hand. "And even if it was a problem, why the hell would I want to talk to you about it—?"

"Why do you want to talk to me at all?" Jolie countered.

Savannah glared. "Maybe if you stopped jumping to conclusions and listened, you'd understand—"

"Well, pardon me if I don't particularly wish to speak with you—"

"Carrow, you want to hear this, trust me—"

"Trust you?" the witch laughed saccharinely.

Savannah blew out a breath.

Fine. Perhaps she'd deserved that one. They didn't exactly have a history of any affability.

But she needed to quell the situation before anything was blown out of proportion. This wasn't about a House rivalry—or even their personal rivalry.

She had already gone over this with herself. And Sydney had helped her, she and her best friend going through each scenario they could think of.

Savannah knew how to handle this. Had already planned it all out.

However, she just hadn't anticipated how difficult it was to actually face her in this scenario.

With some effort, indulging in another deep breath, she let her shoulders relax. She looked back at Carrow again, allowing her features to sober into neutrality.

"Alright. Give me ten minutes. And in that brief amount of time, let's just pretend that we're on totally even ground. We're Switzerland—"

"Huh? Why Switzerland?"

"Because we'll be neutral... Like Switzerland's military?"

Carrow only blinked. Idiot.

Savannah sighed. "Right, you've probably not heard of that. Purebloods. How the hell are you considered to be one of the smart ones—?"

Carrow noticeably bristled. And, damn if Savannah didn't want to keep rubbing that one in.

But alas, she cut herself off, clearing her throat.

"Ahem—Anyway, I'm just saying we're going to pretend we don't know each other for the next ten minutes, okay?"

"Why?"

"I'll explain in a minute. Let's just go somewhere more private and—"

"Tell me what it's about first," Carrow demanded, her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"Look," Savannah breathed, glancing around the empty corridor, "I doubt this is a conversation you'll want anyone to overhear, nor do I think you'd like being seen talking with me."