Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"Um, okay... Here we go," I whispered, mostly, to myself. I didn't know exactly where or how to start, how would Rick react? "My father never wanted a daughter, he told me that himself more times than I can count. For most of my life he ignored me and I didn't mind."

"When Gray and I were, like, 13. My father finally lost his job at the warehouse due to his drinking problem. After that he stopped ignoring it and started taking his anger out on me instead.." Suddenly I felt like I couldn't breathe, the memories of the abuse was still as clear as the days they happened.

I pushed on, "at first it was just harsh words, screaming at me until he was horse. The first time he hit me, it wasn't even my fault, my mom had stepped in and told him enough was enough. All his did was stare right through he as he raised his hand, when I felt a hit white flash of pain across my cheek I was speechless. Even with how he was already treating me, I never thought he'd take it that far. His face said it all, he hit me because he knew he could, he knew my mom wouldn't actually do anything against him. My mom was a saint but she was no match for him. After she spoke up, he started on her too."

I couldn't bring myself to look at Rick, I knew he had pity in his eyes for me and I couldn't stand it. I didn't know if I wanted to continue, it only got worse from there.

"There was just a lot of bad. So when you say 'family,' it has a whole different meaning to me, it wasn't until I moved out and made friends that I realized it wasn't normal. Hell, I don't even think Grayson knew how bad it was.. Or maybe he just ignored it. He was father's perfect son, 90% of the time when he was home my father would stick to words to tear my mother and me down. But even after everything, when the world started going to shit, they're still the people I ran to."

At this point I could feel my heart in my stomach, it was time to change the subject, "I told Gray about going back, seeing our dead father. I should have known that he would do something stupid like this!" I couldn't help but curse at myself. I should have kept a better eye on him, maybe if I had taken him with me instead of Daryl.. I don't know.

"He's a smart kid, he'll be fine," Rick said, trying to calm me but it didn't help. As the houses started to come into view my anxiety was skyrocketing. All I could think about was my worst fear, my twin, dead. He's gotta be okay, please be okay...