Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"Get the hell away from 'er!" Someone had come to my rescue and it wasn't the first time this man has saved my life. Daryl. Even with the crossbow pointed at him, Shane didn't move away from me.

"You can have her when I'm done," it still shocked me how even in a situation like this Shane still had the audacity to act like he was the one calling the shots. The comment only made Daryl's hands tighten around his weapon which was now point right at Shane's head. His eyes didn't falter from mine even with his life being threatened.

"Don't make me ask twice," Daryl demanded coming closer as my vison started to blur slightly, my head throbbing hardcore. Shane's eyes stayed locked onto mine as he rose to his feet. My bottom lip started twitching as I held back tears, even now I didn't allow myself to cry.

*Daryl*

I kept my eyes on Shane as he rose to his feet. He tried to hurt Lucy and that wasn't going to fly. I was on high alert, my shot aimed to kill if he didn't do as told.

"Stay the 'ell away from 'er or I'll kill ya," I hissed as he walked back towards camp. I finally looked down at Lucy who hadn't moved from her spot on the ground. I didn't know what it was about this girl but it was like I was being pulled towards her. I had the need to protect her.

Her dark forest green eyes didn't look up from the dried dirt. Those eyes went perfect with her chocolate skin tone. I knew this was so wrong, all these things I was feeling, especially when she finally looked up and met my eyes. What the hell is this girl doing to me?

*Lucy*

His eyes are what killed me the most, such a deep a beautiful blue. Even now after what just happened, what Shane tried to do to me... I felt safe. Daryl was here. He is the one that saved me... Again.

Neither one of us made the first move, our eyes stayed locked. Both of us trying to find the right words to make this less awkward. I was about to break the silence with a blubbering apology but before I could get an actual word past my lips he held his hand out for me to take.

My small hand slid into his huge callased ones helping me to my feet. I tried so hard to keep the water works at bay bit it was difficult. I completely lost it when Daryl pulled me into his strong arms. In that moment I wish I knew what was going through his mind as he hugged me.

While with this group I had never seen Daryl shake anyone's hand, let alone pull them in for a hug. He held me as close as possible letting me cry. Before this I hated to let anyone see me cry, even Grayson but here I am crying on Daryl's shoulder soaking his shirt.

"I'm so sorry," I cried out, my hands bawling into fist taking his shirt in it. For a second he didn't say a word, I didn't expect him to in the first place.

"Ain't your fault, Shane ain't nothing but a piece of shit," I knew he was right but his words didn't help make me feel any better.

"How did you find me?" I whispered softly, I didn't dare look back up at him. I kept my eyes straight ahead into the woods.

"Dale," I wanted to cry out in joy. Deep down I knew that Dale told someone, I thought it would have been my brother. Just the thought of my brother at this point made my blood boil. It should have been Grayson who saved me, every time I was in danger it was someone other than my brother who helped me.

I didn't want to but I forced myself to pull out of Daryl's warm arms. I knew I shouldn't have but I looked up into Daryl's eyes. My heart skipped a beat as we both stood there, no words come from either of us. Without thinking I pushed up onto the tips of my toes and left a kiss on his right cheek.

"Thank you," I smiled, still slightly in shock that I actually had the balls to do that. A clear blush was evident on his cheeks, "please take me home."

***

When we made it back to camp it was dark and everyone seemed to be asleep. At that moment the only thing I could think of was Shane is here somewhere. Daryl noticed how uneasy I got and pulled me close to him.

"Come on, ya can sleep in my tent tonight," his words sent a shiver down my spine as he lead the way to the place he slept away from everyone else. With my hand in his, all my worries slipped away.