Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I didn't dare open my eyes until it was dead silent all around me. It stayed like that for a split second before I heard the little girl scream. Sophie I think her name is, I quickly move out from under the car and ran towards the gathering group at the edge of the road.

"What happened?" I asked softly as I saw her mother start to cry.

"Lori, two Walkers are after my baby!" She cried as Lori held her from running after Rick and her daughter, putting more people in danger.

"Sophia," she cried as she took a seat on the rail. For a split second I felt bad for not remembering her name correctly but that didn't last long. I hadn't been here long enough to know everyone's name so it wasn't my fault.

"Do you need something? Water?" I asked trying to be sympathetic towards this mother. Her look of surprise didn't surprise me at all but she gave me a simple nod. I had to break eye contact and go get her some water. Her eyes looked the same as my mothers before we left her alone to die on her own terms. We didn't get far before the gunshot went off.

I felt the tears before I could stop them, I couldn't think of the past anymore. The past is what is slowing me down from the moment Grayson picked me up and carried me away. I grabbed the bottled water and held it close to me as I tried to push what happened in the past from my mind.

They wouldn't be gone long. They'd come back when I closed my eyes to sleep in the form of nightmares. Sometimes I was glad I was a quiet sleeper, I wish I could say the same for Gray. Every once in a while he wakes up screaming. Not that I blamed him.

I looked back towards the group and took notice of Shane and the redneck following in the direction the little girl and Rick ran. I made my way back to everybody else, water bottle in hand.

"Are they going to look with Rick?" I asked as I took a seat by the mother, I turned to her, "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name."

"C-Carol," she whispered softly taking the water from my hand offering me a small smile. Without thinking I rapped my arms around her into a hug, expecting to be pushed away but I was wrong. Carol held onto my arms as she started crying again.