First Day

"Hurry up, we're going be late for our first day of class!!" Yelled an annoyed voice on the other side of the bedroom door.

"Okay! Okay! I'm coming!" Gulf yelled back.

Looking at himself in the mirror Gulf took one last look at himself. "Okay, not bad. It's your first day. You can do this."

Gulf had always felt a little nervous on his first day of classes but after a quick pep-talk he was ready to prove his family wrong. He was going to be successful and live a happy life, no matter what they said about him.

The memory of his mother kicking him out flashed in his mind but he quickly pushed the painful memory out of his mind. "No, this is not a time for negative thoughts." He thought to himself.

Taking a deep breath he opened the door. There outside his bedroom door was the bane of his existence and best friend Mild.

"I told you I would be ready." Gulf said pushing past Mild. "Let's get breakfast at the university café. I'm feeling a little hung-"

"Hold up, you wait right there." interrupted Mild. "What are you wearing?"

"What?"

"What are you wearing?" Repeated Mild.

Pausing only for a second, Gulf forced himself not to stop, turn and run back to his room to change back into his old clothes. "I got tired of feeling sorry for myself, and I decided that I was going to change." Gathering his courage he continued on. "You know how much I've been working and after paying you back. I had a little money left and I decided I needed to start changing, so I bought these clothes."

"Gulf"

Walking into the living room to get his jacket and bag, Gulf continued "I mean, I have to start somewhere, right?"

"Gulf." Repeated Mild, a little louder.

"I am at a new university, a new town, and a new life. I'm going to finish college. I'm going to get my degree and be the best teacher ever." He knew he was rambling but he couldn't help it. He was determined but he was also nervous and worried about what his best friend might think. Gathering his things and heading to the front door.

Mild yelled. "Gulf!!"

"What?!" Gulf turned toward Mild.

"You look good."

Gulf was about to a wave away the compliment but the look on Mild's face had him pausing. Mild was an easy going guy. He was the kind of guy everyone just liked and you couldn't help it. No matter how sad or down Gulf felt, there he was to make some stupid joke or tease him. After ten years of knowing Mild he should have known Mild would support him and the sincerity in the compliment pushed away the last of Gulf's worries.

"I mean it. You look nice."

"Thanks" Gulf said a little embarrassed.

"You're welcome....now you pay for breakfast." He said, smiling his devious smile and walking out the door.

Rolling his eyes Gulf followed him out the door. "Fine, but you're driving."

---------------------------------------------

Walking out of his last morning class. Gulf sighed deeply, the class was brutal and he was already bombarded with a massive amount of homework. "I thought professors were supposed to be nice to their students on their first days. he thought in annoyance, "Ugh, I'm hungry," he thought as his stomach growled. Dink chimed his phone.

"Hey, lets meet at the cafeteria for lunch."

"He probably wants me to pay." He grumbled to himself, reading Mild's text message.

"Don't worry I'll pay." Was the following text.

"Alright see you there." Gulf messaged back.

-------------------------------

"How was your classes?" Mild asked. Grabbing his lunch tray.

"I got a professor that hates my guts I think."

"Why do you say that?"

"I kept hiccupping loudly during the professor's lecture. She got annoyed and assigned all of us to research about some stupid archeologist." Gulf said miserably. "Everyone turned to looked at me and I swear they all wished death on me."

Laughing and enjoying Gulf's misery, Mild grabbed a seat at an empty table. "Well, I'm glad I'm not in you're class."

Gulf was about to say something but was interrupted by a collective gasp around the cafeteria. Looking around everyone seemed to be staring at someone entering the cafeteria. There at the entrance was the most handsome man Gulf had ever seen.

"I know who that is." Mild said, his voice rising to a high pitch in his excitement. "That's...."