Boxes

Beads of sweat trickled down Gulf's brow as he struggled with heavy boxes. Why did the professor always ask him to run errands for him, he thought grumpily. His view limited by the bulky boxes, he walked carefully trying to avoid tripping and dropping all the files the professor had insisted Gulf organize. After hours of sorting and organizing he didn't want to spend his afternoon reorganizing if he tripped and dropped the boxes and all it's contents. "Next time the professor asks if you're busy, you say, yes I'm busy." Gulf scolded himself. "Be more assertive."

Yeah right, you're just a big weenie you can't even tell your boss you don't want to tutor his son.

"I needed the money." Gulf argued with himself.

Yeah and what about that guy that kissed you the other day? His mind asked unrelenting. Or did you enjoy it that much?

The memory of the kiss flashed in his mind, his foot tripped and his blood drained as the boxes leaned forward threatening to fall. An arm steadied him and the boxes remained in place. Gulf breathed grateful for the help. "Be careful." A voice spoke on the other side of the heavy boxes. "Let me help you with that." The voice said relieving Gulf of a couple of boxes.

"Oh, thank you. I--" a familiar face greeted him and Gulf's smile faltered. "Oh it's you."

"Hey, most people love to see my face." Mew pouted.

"Are you sure it's love and not despair?"

"Hey, fine then you can carry all the boxes." Mew said placing the heavy boxes back for Gulf to carry.

"Wait! Wait!" Gulf grunted struggling again. This time the boxes felt heavier as if someone had added twenty pounds.

"Yes?" Mew smiled innocently. 

"Can you help me?" Gulf mumbled. "Please." Pride be damned no way was he going to spend another minute sorting files and papers.

"What? I can't hear you?" Mew leaned forward enjoying the other man's predicament.

"I asked, if you can help me." Gulf huffed, the boxes growing even heavier by the minute.

"Hmm," Mew lifted his thumb and finger to his chin. "What do I get in return?"

"What?!" Gulf grunted again the boxes slipping from his hold.

"How about a date?" This is perfect, Mew thought inwardly, I have him right were I want him. One date is all it takes, Then he'll fall for me and to hell with that bastard Bright.

"Nevermind." Gulf said flatly, I'd rather reorganize the professors entire office than go on a date with that conceded man, walking forward Gulf fell back again when his foot slipped, landing heavily on his butt. "Ow!"

"You should have just said yes." Mew taunted walking passed Gulf.

"You son of a--" he wanted to throw something... anything.

"Gulf, are you okay?" Kao called out from down the hall. "Let me help you with that." He rushed to help Gulf up from the floor. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, I just fell on my ass." Gulf winced, "now my ass is swore and I dropped the boxes."

"I'll get them," Kao said lifting boxes. "Nothing fell out."

Sighing in relief Gulf smiled brightly, "Thanks" he brushed his pants off before lifting the rest of the heavy boxes, "I don't know what I would have done without y--" both men were staring intensely at him. "What?" was there something on my face?

"You shouldn't smile so much at people," Mew grumbled, "it's annoying."

"What?!" Gulf asked confused. What was this guy's problem? He glared at Mew.

"I was about to get lunch would you like to join me?" Kao interjected before an argument could occur. Mew you idiot you're not going to get Gulf like that if you keep irrigating him, Koa thought turning to glared at Mew.

"Sure." Gulf smiled, " I just need to take these boxes to the professor's office." 

"Hey!!" Mew frowned, "What about me!"

"Do you want to eat at the Café?" Ignoring Mew the couple continued on talking companionably.

"Hey Guys... what about me!" Mew called out again. "I'm hungry too."

                                                                               ***

"How is he your friend?" Gulf asked looking at Kao, after they sat to enjoy their meal. "He's been getting on my nerves every chance he gets."

Kao shrugged, "He's actually a nice guy." when he's not being an conceded ass. Kao thought biting into his food. "Don't take him so seriously. He's harmless."

"Harmless?" Gulf asked studing his fairly new friend, most of the students at the University spoke highly of Kao, his black hair was brushed into a style that made him look kdrama ready. He had a quiet calm demeanor that felt reassuring and mysterious. He had heard a bunch of girls whispering about him when he entered the room for their class last week. "He's so hot." One girl whispered "He looks so stoic and sexy." Another girl practically drooled. The girls ran over to Kao each pretending to not understand the assignment and Kao patiently sat to explain. "How long have you guys been friends?" Gulf asked.

"His parent and my parents are close friends." Kao replied, he smiled and waved at students walking by them. "We're kind of like cousins."

"You seem completely different from him." Gulf continued. "You're much nicer."

"He not bad he's just..." he's just upset that someone dares to put him in his place and now he thinks the only way to repair his ego is to make you fall in love with him. No way was Kao going to tell him that, as much as he knew it was the right thing to do. He  couldn't just go tell Gulf about Mew's ridiculous plan. "He's just interested in someone and I think it's gone to his head." Kao finally replied.

"Really?" Gulf asked around a spoon full of food. "I wonder who that poor soul is?"

"I have a favor to ask you." Kao continued changing the subject,  "I need you to help me with the Water Festival, it's in two weeks and I need volunteers to help with the decorations." 

Shaking his head vehemently "I'm busy" he replied quickly, The Water Festival was a favorite amoung the students and everyone gathered to dance, sing and eat. This would be Gulf's first time attending the Water Festival but he he had to much on his plate already no way could he add another task.

"Come on... please!!!" Kao whined, "pleeease... I'm in charge of the Water Festival this year and nobody is available to help me you're my only hope pleeeease." Kao pouted, fluttering his lashes and making his eyes as big and round as possible.

"Ugh... Fine but you owe me." Gulf caved, laughing a Kao's exaggerated expressions.

"I need one more thing." Kao smiled innocently.

Gulf's eyebrow rose. "What?" 

"Do you know one more person who could help?"

"No I-" A figure entered the café and he was hit with a sudden desire to cause misery, if he had to suffer he might as well have company.
"Actually I do have one more person who would be delighted to help out." 

"Oh yeah and who is that?" Kao asked a little concerned at the devious smile on Gulf's face.

"Mild!" Gulf waved to his best friend, "Over here."