Chapter 24 | The Real Thing

"Home sweet home," I announce as I push the door open with my hip

Mao starts moving around in his cage restlessly so the first thing I do is set it down and open it up. He runs out and dashes straight to my room, probably to sleep on my bed. I usually try to keep him away from there knowing I'll wake up with cat hair in my mouth but I make an exception since he probably missed home.

"Thank you for the ride," I tell Sawyer as I shed my coat. "And for agreeing to stay over. I know it was a crazy ask."

He closes my apartment door behind him, shrugging. "I don't regret it. You?"

I have a feeling we're not talking about the stay at all. It's why I keep my gaze downward and senselessly fiddle with my purse when I admit, "Not at all."

God, I have to tell him. I have to tell him that we need to drop the act and come clean to my mother so she can help him. It's going to be a mess and she'll be furious and Sawyer will probably regret ever agreeing to faking a relationship and I don't know what that will mean for us but I have to try. For him, for Audrey, for Jenny. They deserve better than what I'm putting them through.

"You were getting along with your parents today," Sawyer observes, taking his coat off as well and hanging it over the back of the island chair. "I think that was the first time I've seen you guys laugh together."

"Yeah." My smile lasts a second at most. "Me too."

Sawyer notices immediately and his brows pinch. "What's wrong? Isn't that a good thing?"

"Of course it is. It's just...probably not going to last."

"You can't think that way," he reprimands and reaches his hand toward my face. It stop short when I flinch and he slowly draws it back, searching my gaze. "What's going on, Tink?"

You know how people say life is short? I've found that to be true only because moments are short, and moments are what make up life.

Moments are fleeting and can change sides of a coin faster than you're prepared for. This morning Sawyer and I were in each other's arms, touching and giving in to whatever was building up between us for years, and now I might have to ruin that. The thing I waited for so long to happen lasted no more than a few hours before being taken away from me, just like that.

Life isn't short—moments are. And when we measure our lives in moments, it feels like we barely get time with the things we want.

"Mom has a colleague," I start quietly, carefully, gauging Sawyer's reaction. "Divorce Lawyer, I think. They can help you with Sav if you confide in them with the whole situation—"

"How does your mother know about that?" He interrupts in a hard voice. The look on his face is walking a line between disbelief and betrayal. I rush to rectify it.

"I didn't say your name. She got a call from my old law school that I was signing out books and wanted to know why so I kept it vague and explained it was a friend's situation."