Chapter 35 | Pottery

Knock knock

Knock knock.

Confused, I pull the door open, completely expecting Sawyer. What I don't expect are the flowers in his hands.

"Where did these come from?" I ask and reach for them.

He pulls them back with a frown. "Just give a simple greeting, woman. I'm trying something here."

Okay?

My mouth opens to respond but he grabs the handle and closes the bedroom door in my face again. What just happened?

Knock knock.

I roll my eyes and this time, I make sure I'm wearing a smile when I get the door back open. "Hi, there."

"Hi," he grins back and extends his hand. "These are for you."

"For me?" I gasp. "You really shouldn't have."

He waves a hand non-chalantly. "No biggie. I'm just excited for our date."

Ah. So that's where he's going with this.

I lean against the doorframe, smirking at him as I play along.

"I was up all night thinking about today," I tell him, voice sultry. "Couldn't sleep."

"I changed my outfit five times."

"I chomped on breath mints the entire time I was getting ready."

"I practiced kissing you on my pillow."

I bite my lip, stopping my grin, and straighten up so I can rise on my tiptoes and meet his ear. My voice is a whisper when I say, "I decided not to wear any panties."

He goes stiff against me. "Really?"

"Mhmm."

His hand lands on my hip, squeezing, and I suck in a quiet breath. "Think I can cop a feel later?"

"Only if you promise to tell everyone at school I'm your girlfriend."

"How about I kiss you up against my locker and sit with you at lunch?"

"Deal."

He laughs, leaning back to meet my eyes. "See? We are good at making deals."

That we are.

I close the bedroom door behind me and follow him outside into our living room. That's right—our.

After my parents officially took off for China, I felt their loss more than I realized. I was grateful that the many miles between us allowed me to breathe but at the same time I felt like I was suddenly more alone than I'd ever been. Sawyer—in true Sawyer fashion—bought a house with Dani's help and tricked me into moving in with him. It went something like this:

"How do you like the place?" He asked and spanned his arms in the middle of the empty room. His voice echoed through the giant space.

"It's great," I answered honestly. "But isn't it big for just one person?"