Author's Note

And that brings us to the end of my TENTH novel! TENTH!!!

This novel being my tenth isn't the only special thing about it, though. This was the first book I had the courage to write and *finish* after my other novel, Knox, took the world by storm.

It was insanity trying to live up to the expectations of what all my readers had set for me. Some I lived up to, some I didn't (yes, I'm talking about Felix and how it's still pending).

Not knowing how to write the sequel to the Marino brothers and struggling with it really hurt my confidence and spirit as an author. Despite Knox being my ninth novel, I still managed to feel like a one-hit-wonder. I severely doubted in my ability to ever write another book and wondered if my lack of desire to keep writing meant that was it for me. I even contemplated leaving this platform entirely due to social pressure (a decision that's also still pending).

The spark I felt for writing a sequel to Sweet Spot was one that came to me when I needed it most. I'd been re-reading Sierra and Holden's story for something light-hearted and fun and also to remind myself how much I enjoyed writing a book like that. Stumbling upon the Harper and Sawyer scenes immediately provoked a series of ideas in me. How did I forget that these two had so much chemistry and potential even as side characters? My mind instantly started racing and I decided to dive into a loose plot, just to see if I could actually come up with something.

It turns out I did come up with something and I'm so proud to call this novel my tenth. It was supposed to be Felix. I know. But I'm happier it was for Tink and Sy because their realness, their banter and humour and fun, was everything I needed to remind myself that writing is my LIFE, even when it poses as a challenge from time to time. But isn't that what life is all about?

I'm so glad I got to explore that concept in this story as well. I think we can all agree that Soft Spot is unlike anything I've ever written. Yes, it still had my trademark humour that I love seeing you guys enjoy, and it has my trademark smut that I also love seeing you guys enjoy (wink wink), among a bunch of other characteristics that gave this novel my signature writing style.

The difference? Talking about the reality of intergenerational trauma, first generation immigrant struggle, and cultural imposter syndrome. Not to mention a little dazzle dazzle for all my anxiety girlies. And WOW was that heavy. But so needed...?

I think one of the best things about the Wattpad community is how we can come together and make bonds over the books we love. Seeing you guys come online to every chapter update and greeting each other at the start of each chapter was probably one of my favourite things about putting this book up. It felt like our own little book club!!!

But the second best thing was definitely seeing how many readers could relate to the topics discussed. It saddens me to know how many of us have gone through the same difficult challenges but it's also been extremely comforting. There's a certain peace in knowing there are others out there who know exactly what it's like to be in your shoes, their hearts going out to you and wishing they could help, because they know exactly how you feel and sincerely want you to get better.

At least that's how I feel. I know so many of us, especially those of us with immigrant parents coming into the western world, have gone through similar experiences. Whether it being compared to family and life back home, guilting you for not making the most of this new life they gave you, not understanding the cultural divide between you and your peers and what it's like to not fit in, or thinking the worst of you for simply having a different life than they did in their youth, even though THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF THEM IMMIGRATING? It's beyond frustrating, isn't it?