Chapter XXXVII: SOONER THAN LATER II

Chapter XXXVII: Sooner Than Later II

DANTE

It took me a while to process everything Angel just told me. I remember just wishing that when I  was locked up and chained to pipes in that decrepit room that he would come, and get me out sooner. This whole time he was wishing I would've died?

My heart throbbed hard in my chest, a deafening sound coming to my ears as it beat vigorously. I was...dumb. And unsuspecting. He made me think that he had some sort of feelings for me, when all along he was using me for his revenge. I was never going to be able to look at him the same again. Truthfully, I should've never looked at my captor in a positive light.

How can I get away? Where can I go? Who would honestly help me?

" Do you get it now, Tesoro?" He asked me. I just looked at him. I was sure to not look upset, and look as unbothered as possible.

" Clearly." I said to him. Rising up from the chair, I headed back toward the room I was staying in. When I was there, I gently closed the door behind me.

I pressed my forehead against the door and told myself I wouldn't cry. Crying wasn't going to fix anything, though I am distressed tears won't help solve the problem. Even when it hurts like hell.

Yet, here I was letting the tears cloud my eyes.

Now that I know the truth, could he finally let me go? I serve no purpose for him other than his revenge. It was evident he was going to keep me locked up and away from the world forever, but would he actually let me go?

•                                      •                                        •

ANGEL

I watched her get up and silently walk away. I was disappointed that she didn't bust out crying before me, but seeing her dejected face actually made me feel a little better.

It was true that I lusted after her, I ached for her touch because I was heavily attracted to her. It's hard not to be attracted to someone you watched over most of your life. When I finally saw her up close that day of the interview, I couldn't allow her to walk away. I had to snatch her up as soon as possible.

Then she was finally in my home, and she was so close to me. I was tempted everyday that I knew she was only two doors down. I could go in to see her. I could actually feel her, taste her, and look at her.

Call it what you want, but I know that I am a sick and twisted man. I believe that is the first step in mental healing. Acknowledging that I have a problem. And I do.

I snickered at the thought and walked out of the living room and toward the kitchen. I looked at the wine bottle rack that was mounted in the wall, grabbing whatever bottle.

I tore off the gold wrapper seal, and popped a corkscrew in the cork. I yanked it opened, and brought the glass bottle to my mouth. I gulped in large amounts of the alcohol, leaving no room for breathing as I basically gasped in between chugs.

I was going to get as shitfaced as possible. It wasn't like my little Tesoro was going to have the courage to leave, let alone bother me after the things I just told her.

I made my way back to my office. Flopping down into the swivel chair, I took another swig of the wine.

It was hard trying to convince my brothers I loved that girl. I thought. Vito didn't believe me a bit at first, nor did Donnie when I told him about her. He still knew even when I said all those things to him. Should I just give my Tesoro, to Donnie?