Kapittel 13

Kapittel 13

Vanessa

It took us less than a moment to arrive at the second floor, but Asher and I already had discussed millennia of topics in our conversation. It started with trivial topics like the weather, subsequently transitioning to shallow issues like celebrities and gossip, then we slowly delved deeper into trivial yet somewhat personal matters like favorite songs and series, and things went from one thing leading to another.

"As I was saying, Derek is the only innocent person in the series..." I paused briefly, "I mean, he's the least suspicious, and he has the cleanest narration in the entire series. Plus, he's got no traumatic backstory or anything that suggests he's the killer, and the narrator doesn't have shady comments against him."

"That's why you're missing the point. You aren't seeing the big picture. Have you heard of the Rashomon effect?" he asked to which I shook my head. "It's a way of storytelling that shows the event from the different perspectives of the different characters. What you're seeing in Murders in the Attic is only fragments of the happening based on not all, but most of the characters' experience of it. They had different views and experiences before and after the murder. We hadn't seen what actually happened yet. The narrator too seems like the shady type. Do you remember episode 15 wherein he lashed out at the badly reputed doctor when he thought that the latter had other intentions, but turns out only wanted to help?" he asked to which I nodded.

Asher then continued, "His judgment is sometimes clouded by his emotions and mental state. He's also affected by other people's comments either about him or anyone else. Also, I believe that you already know the term 'wolf in sheep's clothing', the series hasn't gotten much deeper into all of the characters' stories. We're barely getting more details yet, and they're hooking us up with sudden revelations. So I don't believe yet that Derek is the only innocent person in there."

I was about to respond with a rebuttal but I shut my mouth close when I saw Georgia's recognizable figure. "Georg–" I opened my lips in an attempt to call her name but I shut them close again midway when I realized that she was talking to someone.

Looking at the way she was glaring at the person she was talking to, how the corners of her mouth curved down six feet under, and the fact that she was balling her fist suggested that they had a heated verbal argument. It looks like they were on a verge of throwing hands at each other. I must stop that from happening. Things would not come out well if a fight ensued, especially that the faculty office door was just behind Georgia.

Quietly taking a few steps forward, I tried to read their lips, but what I could only comprehend between the lines was something about incompetence and worthlessness. I then noticed the veins in Georgia's smooth neck popped, and her jaw clenched when the other girl mentioned something I could not comprehend. Gosh, I understood what Haley and Sophia were talking about earlier, but why not this conversation now?

The vindictive, violent flames of anger extinguished when the girl slightly bent forward, raised a brow then waved her hand away in short motions before turning on her feet and walking out, leaving my friend alone in fuming yet restrained anger. That was when I decided to take my cue.

"Who was that?" I asked, coming up behind her.

"Woah!" she gasped audibly in visible surprise, taking a few steps back, clutching her chest, and making a goofy expression that I have never seen once in my life. I knew it would be mean of me if I laugh, but I could not help it.

"You scared me! Don't do that again!" she exclaimed, expelling a heavy breath.

"Haha, sorry for coming up to you so suddenly," I apologized, my laughter still uncontrollable. "And yes, I won't do it again," I said as I succumbed into erupted laughter that I held on my knees.