8

When I got out of the shower, I was surprised that Francis had left clothes out for me to wear. He laid them out neatly on his bed, and I could not help but stare at the clothing for a few minutes. "Well, I needed to blend in..." I spoke. The outfit was a set of brown trousers and a matching brown vest made of wool. The vest was similar to a waistcoat but modern for its time. He had given me a long-sleeved, white collared shirt to wear underneath and a thin black tie. He laid out a hat that was also made of wool and looked like a fedora. I swear...he was trying to make me look like a news reporter or something.

The cool thing about the vest, at the very least, was it came with a pocket watch chain holder that I could not remember what to call. It would help me hold onto my watch if I had nothing left to hold it in.

As I finished getting dressed, I looked at myself in the mirror and felt surprised at how well I could blend in. I felt like maybe the only thing separating all humans was time and fashion. After all, humans have always been the same. I soon began to hear music from outside the room and breathed out as I prepared myself to leave his room.

"Oh, took you long enough," he spoke. I stood frozen, seeing him setting the table. He did so gracefully and beautifully; I couldn't help but stare. "The clothes I picked out look great on you," he spoke. He had stopped setting the table and smiled, looking at me. I tilted my head as he looked at me and shook my head. "Yeah, I think I look like a journalist," I laughed.

"A cute journalist..."

My jaw nearly dropped at what he said, and I stood frozen. "Oh, come on, I am only joking. What? They do not have jokes in the future?" he asked. I rolled my eyes at what he said and shook my head. "Yes, we do, actually...I was just surprised that you could have been playing for the other team," I spoke.

"Playing for the other team?"

"It's an American expression...like...saying you are gay..." I explained.

"WHAT?! I am not gay..."

"Yeah, I don't care if you are or not...it is normal where I am from... anyone can be with anyone, I don't care," I explained. I began to take a seat, and he still looked shocked. "What? Really?" he asked. Hmmm? Was this guy homophobic or something? "Yeah, does that bother you or something?" I asked. He took a seat beside me and shook his head. "Not at all; it makes me happy, actually," he spoke. Well, I guess that makes me feel a little better.

I looked down at the food and started to relax, smelling the aroma. "Wow, this smells really good," I spoke. I began to eat it with joy. It had been a while since I ate something, let alone something this good. "It is called Soupe à l'oignon. Do you like it?" he asked with a chuckle. I nodded at him and continued to eat quickly. I was way hungrier than I thought I was.

I finally looked up, realizing what a slob I must look like. I sat up straight and grabbed a napkin to dab my mouth gently. "Sorry, I must have been hungrier than I realized," I laughed. I looked at him, and he was smiling at me as he leaned his chin on the palm of his hand. "What?" I asked. "Nothing! Just finish eating so I can show you where all my things are," he spoke. I nodded at him slowly as he said this, and continued to eat my food, much slower this time.

The music was still playing in the background, and it felt dreamlike. The potential my device had! I wanted to help everyone with it. Maybe humans could go millions of years back and figure out the lost history of the beings who lived here before us. Ancient civilizations, dinosaurs, maybe, we could even go back to prove or debunk religion if people wanted to. The last part was a stretch, but I am sure someone will want to do that.

Although there will have to be precautions made, everything will be possible once I share my invention with everyone. I knew those people were probably waiting for me, and I wanted to know if Alfred had sent them. However, that would be crazy! Alfred seemed to like me! and he always hung around me any chance he got. Why would he? A young kid wants to take my invention forcibly? It does not make sense, and I won't find out unless I go back to my correct time.

"What is on your mind? You know, you can talk to me now," Francis spoke. I nodded at what he said and slowly placed my utensil down. "I am worried about those people...the reason why I came this far back in the first place," I spoke. "That is right, you mentioned how people were after you," he spoke. I had only mentioned it briefly. "Well, I know I do not have much when it comes to your modern technology, but I hope that whatever I have will be able to assist you in where you need to go next..." he spoke. He sounded sad when he said those words, and I had no idea what to do.

I smiled at him and slowly reached my hand over to him. "How about I promise you something," I started. He looked at me curiously, and I came closer. "I will test my device out and travel to the near future...I will give you a place and time to meet me, and I expect you to be there," I spoke. His smile turned goofy, and he nodded. "Sounds like a deal, but you better not stand me up!"

"Never," I laughed.

"And I expect you to give me another photo of you before you leave," he demanded. I laughed at his odd request and nodded. "Yes! I will take one for you after I finish eating," I spoke. He smiled at me, and it was almost loving. "Okay then," he spoke softly.