9

Once we finished eating and took that ridiculous picture that Francis wanted, he showed me to another room that was filled with all types of gadgets he had collected in hopes that I could use any of them.

At that moment, I had taken out all of my things as I tried to fix the watch. I used one of his big magnifying glasses and held it over the device as he held the light. "What exactly needs to be fixed?" He asked. I began to pull up my on-hand and the blueprints I had downloaded on the files. I could see how he looked at it with amazement when I did. "Well, when I ran into you, I must have cracked the chip slightly, but as I used my watch more, it had gotten ruined. I'm assuming it got overheated, and that is why there was a spark. Usually, a crack on the chip shouldn't cause it to spark up like that; I want to create a way for the watch to cool itself down if that were to happen again," I spoke.

"Oh...okay," he spoke, confused. "Luckily, I won't need to use my other quantum chip for this, I just need to add a few things and fix something," I said plainly. There was more to it, but I didn't feel like going into detail.

"You seem really smart, Arthur...I like that," he spoke. I rolled my eyes at him and shook my head. "Shut up so I can focus," I laughed. He began to laugh with me, and I could not help but smile hearing it. His laugh was really funny...like a stereotypical French person's laugh.

Suddenly, a knock on the door grabbed both of our attention. We looked at each other, horrified. "Oh shit, what if it's the people I was worried about?" I spoke. "I'd prefer them over the Nazis," Francis spoke. My eyes widened as I remembered the time period we were in. "Stay here; I'll check it out," he spoke. I nodded at what he said and watched as he left the room. "Crap, if I need to hurry and leave, I need to be ready," I said to myself.

I began to pick my things up and didn't hear anything from him. "No one is here!" He called back. Hmmm...that is odd...

There was a sudden crash noise, and I stood up quickly. "Francis?" I called. I dropped everything I was doing and quickly rushed out of the room to where he was. Oh no! I need to protect him if anything were to happen to him!

"Watch out!" He spoke. I had managed to stand at the threshold of the hallway and watched as he looked down at a stone that was thrown through his window. "Crap..." he spoke. I walked closer to him and looked at the rock on the floor, surrounded by glass. "Be careful," he warned.

The rock had a note attached to it. "What does it say?" I asked. He gave me a dumb look as if saying he did not know. I walked over to the rock and picked it up. "I'm not sure," he spoke. I flipped over the note, and in big, bold black letters read, "GET OUT OF TOWN, FRENCH BASTARD!"

What a lame insult...but I guess...

"Well...at least they were grammatically correct," I laughed. He rolled his eyes at me and took the paper from me. "This is bad; I probably shouldn't stay here long," he spoke. I nodded in agreement and crossed my arms, looking at the mess. Those Nazi bastards are trying to scare all the French people out of the city; it is stupid. "It won't be safe for you here; I suggest moving to England; you will be safe there," I explained.

"You make it sound so easy...but surprisingly, you being from the future makes me trust your judgment," he spoke. I gave him a nervous grin and looked back at the mess. "Well, we can't leave this place a mess! Let's clean it up!" I spoke. I began to roll up my sleeves, and he smiled, following my movements. His music was still playing, making me feel a bit calm about everything.

I was worried about him staying here; I needed him to leave for England. At least until the war was over and done with, the sooner I leave here, the sooner he can get to safety. I don't mean to worry about him, but I would hate to see him in trouble.

...

Once we finished cleaning the mess, we returned to the room where I had left all my things. "Well, I need to hurry and finish this," I spoke. I took my same seat, and he grabbed the light to hold it up for me. "Hey, it's late, and I'm sure you are tired, but how about you stay the night, and then you can leave tomorrow!" He suggested.

I picked up my tools but stopped once I heard his request. "Oh...I don't know, the sooner I leave, the better," I spoke. He smiled at me and shook his head. "You will be going at the same time, so it is not like much will change. Get some rest, and as soon as the sun comes up, you can make your leave!" He suggested. I smiled at what he said but didn't say anything.

Francis...

The way he went about things made me wonder if he was trying to make a connection with me. We don't know each other much, but weirdly, it feels like we were supposed to find each other. He was super annoying, and I wouldn't mind ditching him again, but something tells me I won't be rid of him that easily.

"Fine, and I'll make sure that tomorrow I give you the directions on where to meet me in the future. It won't be too far away, so don't worry. I wouldn't want to keep you waiting," I laughed. He laughed at my remark and shook his head. "I've waited this long to see you again; I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer," he spoke sweetly. It crushed my heart and soul as he said those words to me. It felt like he was honest about what he said. "Are you sure about that?" I asked.

"It might be nearly thirty years from now."

"As I mentioned, I don't mind waiting however long, as long as I get to see you, of course. I will wait a hundred years!"

"Is that so?..."

"Absolutely! But you have to promise me one thing for the next time we meet."

"And what is that?" I asked. He placed the light down and grabbed my hand gently. "Promise me that you will go out to eat with me; I'll be eagerly waiting for your company for dinner," he spoke. I couldn't help but smile at what he said. It made me feel a certain type of way. I felt my face grow hot, and I was speechless.

"I promise..." I spoke.

"Great!" He cheered, pinching my cheeks.