Chapter 1 - The start

Alarms were blaring through the streets of the small town, people outside frantic rushing to their cars as quickly as they could, streets packed the sight was something Joe had never seen before or even had imagined seeing.

He crawled out of bed closing the blinds on the window of their bedroom before exiting the room quickly being careful not to awaken Taylor on his way out. Passing through the small worn down corridor heading for the remote that he had left on the rusted kitchen counter. Upon turning on the tv the emergency broadcast was shown.

Warning! New disease outbreak and we are currently working on a cure but until then we have safe places to go. Please head there immediately and help will be provided to those who need it.

Stunned Joe stepped back from the tv heading back toward the bedroom in a hurry to wake his wife. Once awake and up to date with what was happening she began to pack essentials frantically as Joe went to wake up Sam. Not informing her of what was going on he ushered her to their van just as Taylor came out of the house with their bags and they set off to get to the "safe place".

The road was busy but they were moving at a steady pace until the traffic came to a complete stop. After a few hours of waiting people began to get out of their cars to investigate what the problem was, Joe joined them stepping out of the car and walking toward a tall man standing in front of their car. There was a woman who appeared to be his wife in the passenger  seat and a boy who appeared to be Samantha's age seated in the back alongside  a load of bags.

Approaching the man Joe asks "Any clue why we've stopped moving"

The man turns to Joe with an unhappy look on his face "They're not accepting any new people, they're full"

Joe decided not to share this information with his wife and daughter yet so that they wouldn't worry but as the sun sets he decided it would be best to bring them out to talk with the other family assuming it would be good for Sam since she could possibly find a friend in their boy.

"Hi," the boy says cheerfully.

"Hey" Samantha replied

"I'm carl what's your name"

"Samantha, but I just get called Sam"

"What about Sammie," carl asked

Pulling a disgusted face Samantha shook her head as they both laughed.

The sun had just begun to set and the small group had laid out a blanket on the ground and opened a few bags of chips to share when a woman with short hair approached with her daughter who appeared to be around carl and Samantha's age.

"I couldn't help but notice that you have kids who look around my daughter's age" The woman stated.
"I'm carol I hope you don't mind if I join you. This is Sophia and that's my husband Ed over there by our car"

"That's fine by me " The man whose name hadn't been mentioned yet stated.
"I'm Shane, this is Lori and that's Carl"

Joe starts after " I'm Joe that's Taylor and my daughter, Samantha"

"Well it's nice to meet you all," Carol says sweetly a small smile forming on her face.

Sophia sat with Carl and Samantha and they played a board game on the ground that carol had brought over. Just as everything seemed to be okay a strange man fell out of the forest beside them stumbling in each of his steps as he rose to his feet heading toward us his arm appeared to be hanging off and he was groaning. His appearance did not look like any normal man's. Was he infected? Is this what the disease is? Is he alive? So many questions flooded through Joe's head but he knew one thing. He had to keep his family safe.

Joe and Shane along with Ed made a plan to head east toward a mountain where they knew a small camp was that they could stay at which was hopefully far enough away from all of this to keep them safe just till there was more space for them at the safe spot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: honestly not sure how I feel about this but I think it's a cute little story of how they all met if you have any suggestions please comment on them!

Please vote if you enjoyed <3

I'm going through and fixing grammar and spelling mistakes currently