Chapter 12 - infirmary

~ Samantha's pov ~

In the morning the group began to clear out the rest of the prison. Me, Carl, Hershel, Lori, and beth had to stay behind the fences and bang on them to attract the walkers away from the others. When they got near we would put a stick through their heads.

One was approaching me I tightened my grip on the metal rod before pulling it back and plunging it into the head of the walker. The blood splattered over my face and hands leaving them feeling sticky and stained a dark maroon color. I turned to Carl and he gave me a faint smile but he looked although he was enjoying this more than me.

Once it was cleared the others went inside and I could see the others clinging anxiously to the bars. It was a while before they came back out. It was T-dog who came to get us with a shield in his hand.

"We've cleared a cell block, we can stay in there for now. Follow me." He waved his arm at us and we followed him. It was a dark dusty room and the smell of rotting corpses was faint but still definitely there, nobody had been in this place in ages, well no living person anyways.

"What about the rest of the prison?" Hershel asked.

"In the morning, we'll find the cafeteria and the infirmary," Rick replied approaching Hershel.

"We sleep in the cells?" Beth questioned not sounding too sure about the idea of it.

"I found keys on some guards. Daryl had a set too." Rick pointed his arm out in Daryl's direction.

"I ain't sleeping in no cage." Daryl sighed and Shane nodded in agreement before approaching and standing beside me. "I'll take the perch" Daryl continued before leaving the room.

Carl and I  walked to the end cell which contained bunk beds that we would share just like at the farm.

"Pretty gross huh?" I laughed.

"Yeah, remember the storage units?" He smiled back placing his bag in the corner of the room.

I sat down on the bed placing my satchel in the bottom corner." It's actually..." I patted down the bed " it's actually comfortable. Check it out" I said lying down on the bed. Carl came and sat beside me before reaching into my satchel and pulling out the comic we had yet to finish reading.

"You up for finishing this," he asked.

"Sure, why not," I responded making a smile appear on his face before he began to read. I lay my head on his shoulder and just listened looking at all the images on each page and examining them closely.

~ morning ~

I woke up to Carl shaking my shoulder and calling my name. "Sam.... Sam" he whispered. "Wake up" I rub my eyes and then turn to face him.

"What's wrong Carl?"

" I'm going to find the infirmary. You coming?" He asks.

"With the others?" I question.

"No" he shrugs. " just me and you"

"What if there are walkers, we don't have anything to use against them, Carl." He looks at me before smiling and pulling out a hunting knife from behind his back the blade was engraved with a beautiful design and the handle was smooth and shiny as if it had never been used. He held it out toward me and I took it from him.

"You were saying" he laughs.

"Okay, fine Carl. We can go but if there are too many of them we come back we don't try to fight them. Okay?"

"Whatever," he says before dragging me out of the cell block.

We walked down a few corridors without encountering any walkers and eventually we came across a double metal door with a sign beside it that was labeled "infirmary" we stepped inside, Carl going first he had brought his bag to carry supplies in, and once he had decided it was clear of zombies he began to fill it and I helped.