Chapter 2 - Stuck

~Samantha's pov~
I was enjoying sitting on the road with my new friends Sophia was funny and I enjoyed talking to Carl, I think we could become some friends as we were getting along well, although I couldn't help but notice the worried expressions on my parents face especially my dad they were constantly whispering to each other whilst reassuring me that everything is okay.

There was a loud bang and then smoke, thick groups of smoke began to emerge from behind the trees. I was scared. Everyone began to pack up their belongings into their cars. I saw my dad, Shane and Ed talking but I couldn't quite overhear what they were saying. Shortly after I was ushered back to the car catching a glimpse of a ghastly-looking man stumbling out of the woods but before I could get a good look my dad pushed me away and we were back on the road for what felt like forever.

Although it HAD felt like forever, when we arrived it appeared to have only been an hour or two drive at most since it had just gotten dark. Carl and Sophia along with their family had followed along behind us in their vehicles and we arrived on the small mountain. I remembered how I had gone camping here with my family around a year ago, I liked it a lot, although there had been a lot more people here previously now it was a lot more desolate.

I stepped out of the car and onto the gravely road beneath me turning round, carl and I met eyes holding contact for a while before he turned his focus back to Lori. The bags began to be unloaded from our cars and taken to the small campsite where I assumed we would only be staying until we could get to our destination, which I wasn't quite aware of yet now that I think of it. Still, I don't care too much I've met a lot of new people today and that's enough to keep my content for now.

"CARL" I yelled out to the boy.
He turned to look at me smiling before running over to sit beside me on the layer-out log beside the fire pit.

"Did you have any pets at home?" The boy asked a hint of excitement in his voice at the question. I guess he must like animals I think looking down at his t-shirt which had a paw print on the front.

"My cousin had a cat named ted but I never had any. Do you?" I notice he said did but I didn't question it. Doesn't he know that we're going back? This is just a short trip.

"Yeah I had a dog, I'll miss him," He says his smile turning more into a straight face as he looked at his shoelaces.

"I'd miss my animals if I had them too. Don't worry though you'll see them soon!" I smiled trying to cheer the boy up again, though it didn't seem to work as he turned to look at me with a confused expression on his face.

"You don't know?"
"Don't know what" I laughed
"We can't go back, ever Sam. it's gone. all of it. Gone "

My face dropped. I couldn't believe it. I don't believe it. "You're lying" my eyes began to fill with water at the thought of it. "You're lying it's not funny Carl. That's not a funny joke"

The look on his face told me he was telling the truth and that he was just as upset as me, but I was not ready to accept that fact. At least not yet.

"FOODS READY" was all I could hear being called from the distance before everything went silent. Nothing felt real. Maybe this wouldn't be such a short stay after all and could become more of a permanent thing. I shudder at the thought before leaving to go grab a serving of food catching a glimpse of Carl I walk toward him slightly hanging my head.

"Carl"
"What" he snaps.

"I didn't mean to call you a liar. And I'm sorry for shouting." .... "I believe you I just meant that I don't want to believe you, I hadn't been told yet but I think I understand now" The truth is that I couldn't be been further from understanding, why were my parents hiding this from me? What else are they hiding? This world is worse than I ever could've imagined.

"It's okay, I was the same when my mum told me. I forgive you" he smiled before grabbing hold of my wrist and walking back over to the log beside the now-lit fire pit where we sat and ate food before falling asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So cute
I also need chapter name ideas to help.

Also smut or no smut? way later in the story but it's a possibility.