Chapter 13 - infection

Crying is all I can hear non stop. After a while the headache from the sound became unbearable for me. My hand was still wounded and sore to touch but I didn't want to bother anybody with it since it was the least of their worries with the current situation.

Carl was trying his best to comfort the baby but despite his best efforts nothing seemed to be able to keep her content. "Am I doing something wrong?" Carl turned to ask Beth.

"No, no she's just hungry she needs food that's all." Beth reassured him.

Carl hung his head and handed the baby over to Beth who began to cradle her in her arms and almost instantly the crying stopped. Normally I would've made fun of Carl for this but I don't think that either of us had the energy for that. Not long after Maggie and Daryl returned with the baby food.

Daryl took the baby from Beth's arms and began to feed her with the bottle. He looked up at Carl " she got a name yet?"

"Not yet." He replied. "But I was thinking maybe Sophia, then there's Carol too. And... Andrea, Amy, Jacqui,Patricia or Lori I don't know" he turned away.

"Yeah.... You like that? Huh?" Daryl looked down at the baby in his arms. "Little ass-kicker." He turned to look at everyone in the room. "Right" he laughed. "Right that's a good name. Little ass-kicker you like that, huh? You like that, sweetheart?"

Shane stood directly behind me with his hand on my shoulder. Black dots had begun to spot my vision. He shook my shoulder. "What do you think?" He asked I opened my mouth to respond but no words came out, I felt cold and shivery, sweat had began to drip down my forehead. "Sam?" He shook my shoulder more aggressively this time. "You okay sam? Sam" he repeated.

Maggie turned to look at me. "You okay Sami sweetheart? you look a little pale." She questioned. But I could barely make out her face and her voice sounded different.

"Sami?" A shorter figure began to approach me and my name being said echoed through the room and my ears began to ring. Figures that I couldn't make out all began to surround me then everything went black.

~ Carl pov ~

"Sami?" I began to walk towards her. Her face was pale and her hands were shaking. Everyone began to crowd around her and I heard a thud. When I shoved  my way through everyone I saw Sami on the ground with Hershel looking over at her and Shane frantically trying to wake her up.

Shane continued to shake her shoulders. "Come on Sam, your okay, your okay." He picked up her hand which was still bandaged and Hershel immediately took notice of the blood soaked bandages.

"Has anyone taken a look at this wound?" He questioned.

"I... I don't know she said Lori had." Shane spluttered.

Hershel shook his head. "This hasn't been bandaged by Lori, she's done this herself and by the looks of it-" He peels the bandage of her hand to reveal a deep cut surrounded my bruising and red blood stained skin. "It's infected, and has been for too long. Shane follow me we need to treat this immediately."

Shane gathered Sami's limp body in his arms and followed Hershel to his cell before the curtain was closed and we were left to wait.

Maggie turned to face me. "Carl, did you know?" She asked.

"No....well yes. but I forgot about it and she said it was alright." I answered, already feeling guilty. Maggie walked off to go and help Hershel.