Chapter 4 - The things

This scene has slight gore? So just a warning there for that if you don't want to read just skip this chapter.

~Samantha's pov~

A lot had happened in the past few weeks, Shane had beaten Ed after something went down at the lake,  something that I wasn't allowed to know. Since then Sophia had been spending a lot of her time inside the tent. Jim had been digging a lot of large holes at the top of a hill and Shane also had to stop him. And as for Shane he still seemed more unhappy since Rick had arrived.

Rick, Glenn, T-dog, Joe and Daryl had gone back out to the city to go and look for Merle and bring him back so there wasn't too much going on at camp. We were all set around the campfire everyone was content and laughing, Carl and I sat bedside each other talking about life before.

There wasn't too much conversation until Morales begins to talk about dale's watch and a few others join in I turn my head to look and Carl and roll my eyes as he smirks. This wasn't a conversation that interests me so I went to go sit beside my mum who I hadn't had a chance to talk to recently since she had taken on the role of being a housewife with carol.

"You okay Sammie ?" She asks gently
"Yeah I'm just tired" I reply resting my head on her shoulder, she tries to hide it but I can't always tell that she's a lot more anxious when dad isn't at the camp and I am too.
"You should do more round here you know Sammie, be more like Carl he helps his mother you should help me," she says looking me dead in the eyes.

I give her a confused look before storming off, I was tired and not in the mood what more can I do? I go and take my seat back next to Carl. I zone out for a while and just click back to reality to hear faint groans in the distance but I thought nothing of it and tried to pay attention to the conversation happening to keep myself awake.

"I give it to you not that you may remember the time but that you may forget it for a moment now and then and not spend all of your breathe trying to conquer it" I hear the end of dales talk about his watch

I catch eye contact with Amy and give her a confused look and slightly tilt my head as she says.
"You are so weird" I could tell we both thought the same. Everyone was in laughter again before it quieted down again and Amy got up to leave toward the RV. She comes out after a few minutes.

"We're out of toilet paper," She says flapping her arms to her side. Just as everyone turns to look at her a person with torn-up clothes and covered in dried blood creeps to her side sinking its teeth into her wrist as the fresh blood can be seen seeping out her arm. She lets out a blood-curdling scream as I glare at her eyes wide frozen in place as she falls to the ground and more of those things come out from the forest groaning towards us.

Screams erupt into the air as people frantically try to grab each other to find safety. Shane picks up a shotgun and begins shouting as he guns down the people. The rotten smell is in the air and blood is splattering everywhere as the screams slowly begin to get quieter and quieter when I look to my left to see my mother running toward me and a thing right behind her and in front of her on the floor which I realise she hasn't seen yet as it reaches its arm out to try and grab her leg causing her to collide into it crashing into the ground as the thing behind her catches up sinking its teeth into her back.

My eyes are focused on the scene as my vision begins to blur from tears and everything goes silent besides the screams of my mother as the monster begins to tear into her side digging its filthy hands into her and ripping her insides out the blood is everywhere as I watch her try to get away unable to do anything.

Finally, I'm able to get one word out "MOM" I scream over and over again, catching the attention of Lori causing her to grab me and pull me closer to her side, she wraps her arm around me and rubs my back as I cry. I close my eyes and don't plan on opening them squeezing them tighter and tighter shut clenching my fist out of anger. I could've saved her and I didn't, I never told her I loved her again, she died thinking I hated her and that's something I'll never be able to forgive myself for.

Those things weren't people they were monsters, people wouldn't kill others in that gruesome of a way they wouldn't rip people open like that.

~Carls POV~

I cling to my mother tighter as she reaches her arm out to get ahold of a hysterical Samantha pulling her closer to us. I hadn't seen what had happened and I can't focus on it yet either as the massacre takes place in front of me.

People are being eaten alive by the monsters Amy, Jim, ed and that's when I saw Taylor lying limp on the floor as the things crowd around her sinking their teeth into her flesh. I only had a quick glance before my mum guided me and Sam behind Shane alongside carol and Sophia.

The others arrive back at camp just in time running up the hill toward us shooting the zombies down. I don't have any time to focus on anything else other than the sound of squelching and screams.

~ Samantha's pov~

Carl runs toward his dad hysterically and jumps into his arms as Rick comforts him. Lori keeps ahold of me until my dad reaches us she then slides me over and joins her son and Rick.

I keep my eyes glued to the ground not wanting to look at him or relive what had just happened to my mum, not wanting to be the one to tell him. But something tells me he's already figured it out.

"Where's Taylor? Where's mom Sam? Where is she!" His voice becomes more of a shout."what happened sam? Where is she!" The tears begin to flow uncontrollably down my face as I give him no answer and he walks away before catching a glimpse of moms lifeless body on the floor and jogging toward it.

I slowly walk over keeping my eyes on my feet not wanting to see the sight before me. "I'm sorry" I splutter hardly being able to get the words out through my tears. "I didn't mean to, I should've stopped it" Joe looks up and me with a look of both disgust and disappointment on his face before shaking his head at me.

I walked to go and sit with Carl and I ended up staying with him for the night as I couldn't bear to face Joe before. He hates me and I can't blame him. I got mom killed. I killed her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a/n Poor Samantha
This chapter hasn't been checked for spelling and grammar and stuff yet so might be a bit iffy