Life in Space

The next day when he walked into the canteen, he saw Sander sitting at a table. Robbe had rushed from the class when the bell rang so that he wouldn't meet the others. He wanted to go there alone, on the off chance that Sander made an apperance. Robbe bought a carbonara and walked to his table. Sander had seen him, they grinned at each other.

"Hey. The King comes down to see the commoners, huh?" Robbe said, sliding into the seat across from him.

Sander chuckled, "It's your blessed day, no offering? I'll give you a special private time, so you won't need to line up with the others."

Robbe laughed. From across the room, he saw Jana waved at him excitedly. Sander noticed where he was looking at, and turned his head. He looked back at him.

"Those are your friends right? You want to sit with them?"

"It's okay."

"Call them up, it's a big table."

Robbe looked at him, asking hesitantly, "You sure?"

Sander; the unpredictable, strange cat that he was gave him an amused smile, "Of course."

"Okay," Robbe replied, even though he was reluctant.

He waved to Jana, beckoned for them to join him. The girls walked to them, Jana and Luca slid next to Sander, while Zoe, Yasmina and Amber sat next to him. Robbe was grimacing inside, he just hoped Jana didn't ask awkward questions.

"Hi, remember me?" Jana grinned to Sander, apparently forgetting the 'scary' remark.

"Sure, Jana, right?" Sander smiled.

"Yes." Jana looked pleasantly surprised.

"Hi man, I am Luca." She offered her fist, and they did a fistbump. Robbe stared at that.

The other girls introduced themselves, Sander smiled to each of them. Robbe was watching him, trying to gauge his real mood, but Sander didn't look uncomfortable, at least outwardly. Robbe was still tense though, bracing for the girls bombarding him with questions, silently going through the varying scenarios of Sander's reactions. Luckily, they didn't. Zoe and Amber had started talking, Jana was joining in their conversation. Sander was chuckling to whatever Luca was saying to him. Robbe finally breathed a small relief sigh, mixed with disappointment of being robbed another chance of talking with Sander alone.

"He looks allright," Yasmina said softly from his right.

He's marvellous, odd and beautiful. Robbe replied, "Yeah, he's really great, actually."

"Hmm," Yasmina's smile was hinting of something else. Robbe didn't bite.

"So, about that biology assignment, how you want to do it?" Robbe asked between swallows.

"We can do it after school today, good?"

"Sure."

"Hey boys!" Jana was waving her hand in the air. Jens, Moyo and Aaron were just entering the canteen. They were walking toward them now. Robbe threw a quick glance at Sander, but he seemed nonchalant.

"Dude, we are looking for you." Aaron said to him when they reached them. Jens ruffled his hair.

"Sorry man, I am starving," Robbe replied, scooping up his pasta to make the point.

Jana said, "Boys, just drag that table." The table next to her was empty. Moyo and Jens attached the table to theirs and gathered around. Next to Jana, Jens was already laughing. Even though he and Sander couldn't talk much, they exchanged small smiles and glances through out the lunch. The atmosphere was quite relax all around.