Chapter 3: Alive

Snow

Silent tears trickled down my face.

"Again?" the stupid Capitol attendant asked President Snow. Her finger hovered over a button.

I looked down, away from the giant screen that was playing the 80th Annual Hunger Games like it was a movie.

President Snow stared at me and held up his hand. "No. Stop."

Two Peacekeepers dragged me to my feet. I didn't have the strength to fight back.

"What do you know about District 13?"

"Nothing." I spat. My breath was raggedy. "I know nothing about them. Just like I said the first hundred times you asked."

"See here's the thing Soldier." President Snow said crossing his arms.

"I'm not your goddamn Soldier!" I screamed. Fury filled me and I punched the Peacekeeper next to me in the face, shattering the visor of his helmet.

"You're smart enough to fool a lie detector." President Snow said calmly. "We can't use that." He paused. "We're resorting to different...methods."

I felt arms push me into a chair and handcuff me to it. The power from my anger had faded and I was weaker than ever. Another Capitol attendant walked up to me with a needle in his hand.

My eyes widened. "No. You wouldn't. You wouldn't!"

Both of us knew he would though. He was perfectly capable and perfectly cruel enough.

"No, we're not doing that. Too risky." President Snow waved his hand dismissively. "This stuff is going to drug you so you're susceptible to our questions. You'll tell us the truth then."

It didn't matter to me, I didn't know anything either way.

"Why didn't you start with that then you idiot?" I growled.

"Because, it has...side effects. Not as bad as tracker jacker venom but we wanted to give you a chance before we messed with your mind."

I thought of the constant torture I had suffered through. Everything I had been forced to watch.

"You already have."

The needle pierced my skin.

Everything blurred for a second, then focused, the blurred again.

Then a stinging pain and a sharp tremor went through my body.

Finally, darkness.

Midnight darkness.

***

My body felt stiff and sore. I was lying on cold hard cement.

After a few seconds, my eyes adjusted to the dim lighting.

Cell.

I was in a prison cell.

Only then did I notice my hands were handcuffed together.

I cursed loudly.

"You're awake."

I looked up to see President Snow staring at me. Surprising, really, he was the President. He shouldn't have been standing outside a prison cell, staring at a felon.

"You were telling the truth I guess." He sighed. "You don't know anything about District 13."

"Nothing more than you, probably less than you actually." I snapped.

"Yes, most likely, if your little truth session shows any reality."

"So I'm free to go?" I hissed sarcastically.