Chapter 10: Orchid

Snow

Breathe in. Breathe out.

A lock of hair fell in front of my face as my prep team combed, plucked, and painted me into perfection. I looked down at the strand and noticed the white tips of my hair glimmered in the light. Thinking back, I couldn't even remember when I first started dying my hair. It was a way to make me stand out I guess. Dark black hair, bright white tips, I was the Capitol and the Districts combined.

"Hold still darling." One of the girls from my prep team stepped in front of me and began applying something to my lips. "You look absolutely stunning."

"Thank you." My mind was still on Kern and our cut off conversation. "How many times do I have to do this?"

"As far as I know, it's this, once more after the interview for pictures, and then a final time before the party just for touch ups." The girl answered. Her hand delicately waved the wand across my lips.

"Thank you." I repeated, absentmindedly.  "When do I get to meet the tributes?"

The girl's hand froze. "I'm sorry, can you repeat that Miss Pristeen?"

A mistake. I'd slipped up. "You know what I meant, the visitors from the Districts. When do I get to meet them?" Before the attendant could respond the door opened, and she bowed down low. 

"Rise," President Snow spoke. His footsteps echoed across the marble floors. "Leave me and Miss Pristeen. I must speak to her."

The girl stood and motioned to the rest of her prep team. They exited in rapid fashion, scurrying like tiny, tattooed rats.

"Coriolanus," I stood. Rather than my dress for the night, I was wearing my training outfit. It was a simple navy tank paired with black pants and combat boots. "It's good to see you."

"You must be thirsty." He handed me a glass of what looked like orange juice. 

Cautiously, I gave it a sniff. The frilly, white lace that adorned the bottom of the glass could not hide my weary gut feeling. 

"It's not poisoned, my dear." President Snow sighed and took a seat in my chair. "Truly, it hurts that you would think so low of me."

"Pardon me," I set the glass down on the table. "Your reputation precedes you. Besides, I've had a bit of distaste for Capitol drinks ever since that little accident with the tracker jacker venom." My tone was laced with as much venom as my drink. 

"The avox was disposed of immediately. You know this. Such mistakes will not be tolerated. He was clearly a spy from District 13." President Snow waved his hand dismissively. 

"Of course," I nodded. Our eyes matched and a mini power struggle occurred. 

President Snow and I had been at a standstill for a while now. He needed me to win the Districts back. I was their symbol, their fighter, they trusted me. That meant he couldn't publically torture or poison me. My sanity had to be kept intact. At the same time, my defection would result in many innocent deaths. By staying within the Capitol, I was able to guarantee the safety of more than I would be able to otherwise. We both played dangerous odds. President Snow was aware that I could turn the tides of this war at any moment. I was aware that he would get rid of me the moment he could. 

"District 13." President Snow broke our gaze and chuckled. "Weak, pitiful, disgusting. They hide traitors." His eyes glanced up at me again. 

This comment received a reaction from me. My fists clenched, and I looked up at the ceiling. "Pathetic." I agreed, thinking of Jerome, Jason, Vena, Mitch and Thalia. "Absolutely horrid." My memories of the Games were fuzzy and strange. It was a side effect of being revived. Still, I'd seen most of the tapes. The end was always cut off, which I found suspicious, it was no doubt a ploy by President Snow to conceal the truth. Still, no amount of editing would hide the fact that I'd been betrayed by people whom I'd once trusted.