Chapter 6: Meetings

Jason

"No, too much of a risk." Vena announced immediately.

"Oh shut up." Snow's mom snapped from the other side of the table. "You're only here because we hauled your pathetic ass out of the arena for some stupid reason.

"Mary," The other General Pristeen put his hand on his wife's arm. "It's okay."

"It's really not." Mary waved him off. "President Coin, you have understand that Snow has a lot of power over our people."

"So you want to break into the Capitol where she's most definitely being kept in the highest security prison they have?" Vena demanded. "That's a ridiculous idea." Her glare shifted over to me and I began to regret bringing the whole thing up. "We'll all be killed."

"You won't have to worry about a single obviously bleached hair on your idiotic little head." Mary rolled her eyes. "You wouldn't be one of the soldiers going in. Believe it or not, we'd probably send in good soldiers.

Vena opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by President Coin.

"Mary is right when it comes to the fact that you should shut your mouth Soldier Renoir." She stated simply. "You're a mere soldier and have no power in this decision. That being said, there are some issues with this proposal." 

"Look, Alma, whatever risks there are, they're worth it." Another man sitting next to Jerome shrugged. "Snow has a lot of influence."

"Thorne's correct." Plutarch, the old Gamekeeper, nodded. "District 5 and District 7 have already begun backing down from the fight ever since Snow's segment on the Capitol News. Won't be the last time she's up on the screen either. Right now, it's our propaganda versus theirs and with Miss Pristeen with them, the Capitol has the upper hand. They've got a lot of other former victors as prisoners as well."

"Update me on the list." Coin said briskly.

"Finnick Odair and Johanna Mason are prisoners as well." Cressida answered. She was District 13's main film director for our propaganda segments. "We have reason to believe they have Annie Cresta too."

Coin didn't respond.

"They're going for the younger victors, more influential, more relatable." Cressida continued. "Not as prominent as Snow of course, but they'll pop up from time to time."

"Do you think they've tortured her?" A quiet voice piped up. The look on Coin's face instantly softened. "Snow, I mean, do you think they've interrogated her for information?" The voice belonged to Coin's nephew, James. I'd heard rumors that the rest of Coin's family, including her husband and daughter, were killed with the pox epidemic that had broken out years ago. Now that I thought about it, around the time of the second secret rebellion in fact. James was our age from what I knew, maybe even a little older, it was hard to tell because he was so introverted. Still, somehow he was heir to the presidency. "Because we all know she doesn't know anything about us."

"Wouldn't they want to keep her looking alive and healthy?" Mitch pointed out. "Wouldn't exactly be great if they were beating Panem's..." he struggled to find the right word. 

"Mockingjay." I completed. "She's the Mockingjay."

Coin nodded in agreement. "True, but I'm sure they're desperate for information. Besides, she does know a few things. She was smart enough to figure them out during her time in the arena. But I have a feeling she'd be able to take the punches."

A tiny voice mumbled something.

"Sorry, I didn't catch that Miss Everdeen." 

"I said, what if they're doing that mind control thing? The thing they did to Kern." 

Thalia and I exchanged glances. Neither one of us had mentioned Kern's revival when we told everyone our proposal. 

"Prim, that's a bit-"

"It makes sense." She argued. "You're right, she'd be able to take a few hits. Snow's from District 2, she's trained to be a soldier her life. The Capitol themselves trained her! Besides, they can't hurt her too much because of what Mitch said. Physical torture wouldn't work."

"But play with her mind..." Plutarch caught on.

"You think they're controlling her?" General Pristeen asked Prim.

"Maybe, they're doing something to her." Her eyes suddenly met mine and the rest of our ex-Hunger Games tribute pack. "You can tell, right? She's different."

"Er, yeah." Jerome finally spoke. He was the only one who hadn't said anything this whole time. "She was more serious before, not as giggly."

Thalia, Mitch, and I nodded in agreement.

"No, you're wrong." Vena shook her head. "What you're describing, that's called happiness. Snow was always like that, maybe not all the time, not in the Games, but they're not controlling her to be happy."

Mary rolled her eyes again. "Vena-"

"Hear me out." Vena raised her hand in a sign of peace. "I agree with Prim. They're doing something with her mind. But the change in her personality isn't what Jerome described. She's more...stable. Before, her emotions were like a light switch. They were either on or off. But now, it's like she can balance them."

"So how do you explain her sudden carefree attitude?" Mitch snorted.

Vena's eyes met my gaze. "I heard you and Thalia talking. I think it's time you explained."

"What?" Coin demanded. Her angry, hardened look returned. "What is she talking about?"

"I-I was in the surveillance room. There was...and I...with Thalia..." I looked over at her helplessly.

"We saw Snow in the training room." Thalia sighed. "She was practicing, we need to come back to that by the way, then she touched one of the spears when she collapsed." When a loud muttering came over the conference room, Thalia held up her hand for silence. "It was like she was having some hallucination. Then there was a blur across the screen and, well, Kern came in and helped her up."

"He's dead." Mitch interrupted. "Duh."

"Then he's the most lively dead person I've met." Thalia retaliated. "He's alive or some form of him is. Maybe another person disguised to look like him, but Snow was acting like it was actually him."

"What do you mean?" Jerome suddenly looked interested.

"They kissed." My tone was blunt and empty. Jerome didn't respond. 

"What if Snow actually isn't...Snow?" James asked, breaking the silence. "What if Thalia's right, and Kern is just a stranger disguised to look like him, only Snow is the same as well?" More silence. 

"That would be a problem." Coin finally spoke. "Big problem. That would mean Snow is extremely loyal to the Capitol."

"Because she isn't Snow." Plutarch finished. 

"Well, we're fucked." Cressida rolled her eyes. "Why don't we give up now?"

"No." Beetee argued. "Thalia's theory might not be true. We don't know whether either option is correct. Alma, if you give me more time, I can work more on hacking into the Capitol's surveillance. Perhaps we can receive more clues. In the meantime, I propose we still plan an escape for Snow. Even if she's loyal to the Capitol, getting her away from their side might be the best scenario. She can't keep advertising for their side. It's detrimental to ours." He paused. 

"Continue Beetee." Coin said, sensing he wasn't done.

"Well, I'm just thinking. If Thalia is right, that doesn't really change anything regarding the Capitol. We have to stop them." Beetee shook his head. "Even if it means killing her."