Chapter 9: Plans

Snow

"Morning."

I opened my eyes and stretched out on my bed, letting out a yawn as I did so. "Five more minutes."

Kern's eyes crinkled as he smiled and pulled me close to him. "Happy birthday Snow." He whispered in my ear. "You're finally nineteen. How does it feel?"

"Tiring." I groaned and curled up back into a little ball. Kern grabbed me gently by the waist and pulled me into the nook of his body. His chest pressed up against my back. "Let me go back to sleep."

"Trust me, I'd love that." Kern replied. "But you need to start getting ready for your party."

"Ugh, don't remind me." I rubbed my eyes and groaned. "I have to do another set of interviews before the party and then another set of interviews after. Plus, I'll probably be so intoxicated so who knows what I'll say..." I trailed off mid-joke. Kern's eyes flashed with warning. "I won't actually say anything Kern. You know that. I'm just kidding." I glanced up at the ceiling. "I wouldn't say anything against the Capitol."

"I know you wouldn't." Kern glanced up at the ceiling as well. "Just be careful about how much you drink. The Capitol has done so much for us, and if the rebels get some kind of footage they could edit-"

"Don't worry." I sighed. "I won't say anything stupid, I promise. I know what the Capitol has done for me. They gave me back my life after I threw it all away for some stupid boys," I spat. 

Kern's fingers gently brushed my cheek. "It's going to be okay. I promise. We'll get through it together, and we will win this war."

My throat constricted at that. "Don't make promises you can't keep. Who knows what's going to happen on the battlefield? I'm District 13's prime target, and you're not even supposed to be alive." 

"But I am. And you know we're unstoppable. You know that we, especially together, are undefeatable. You know why."

I recoiled from him. "No. Not now. We're not having this conversation today."

"We need to have this conversation sometime."

I finally hopped out of bed. "It's not true. You have no proof."

"Snow-"

"I said that we're not having this conversation!" I snapped as I put on my jacket. "My prep team is probably waiting for me. We can talk later at the party, about anything else I mean." And with that, I opened and slammed the door, running away from a problem I wasn't ready to face.

Jerome

"If we enter from here," Thorne pointed at a spot on the map, "Then we'll have direct access to where her room supposedly is."

"That's one of the highest security places in the building." Coin argued. "Not logical."

"Neither is storming into the party and searching for her." Thorne shot back. "We camp out in her room and wait for her to show up early in the morning. Then, we take her by surprise and fly her out."

Jason raised his hand, and Snow's dad glared at him. "What do you want?"

"What about the cameras?" Jason asked. "Even if Beetee could bring them down for a few minutes to let us get in, there's no way he'd be able to hold the fort long enough for us to wait for her to show up." 

"That's where our special weapon comes into play." Coin spoke up. "Beetee? If you would explain?"

"Of course." He wheeled over and pulled something out of his pocket. It was small and flat, no bigger than a quarter. "This is just a prototype, but I have the real thing ready. It's a chip that will allow us to take over the Capitol building's surveillance footage for a while. Not for an extremely long period of time, but it will buy us a couple hours if we're lucky, which should be enough. The Capitol attendants will see the same footage replayed over and over, and hopefully they won't notice anything strange until it's too late." He grimaced. "It's not exactly a foolproof plan, but it's all we got."