Chapter 8: Get Her Out

"It's airing." Mitch mumbled as he tied his shoes.

"Attention!" James called to all of the civilians inside the cafeteria. Everyone turned to look at the TV screens in the middle of the room. Snow's form was placed in the very center of it. A glow seemed to emit from her body and she was smiling as happily as ever.

"Like I was saying, what is your opinion on the recent attacks by the rebels?" Caesar asked Snow.

Her face morphed into a slight grimace. "They're killing innocent people. And no, I'm not talking about just the murder of Peacekeepers. District 13 has no regards for bystanders. They're lack of concern for loss of life, well, it sickens me."

Coin frowned. "Not good."

"How much 'not good'?" Boggs asked

"Very, very much." Plutarch muttered. "She's pinning this all onto us."

"And doing a good job of it." Cressida added.

"They hide behind their squadrons, behind their guns, bullets, and bombs. They bury down underground because those cowards know that if they showed their face, well..." Snow laughed harshly. "I have a bone to pick with some of them, to say the least."

Caesar laughed. "Now that this whole situation has progressed, what do you have to say?" It felt like the whole room tensed as everyone waited to see if Snow would make traitorous comments against District 13 yet again.

"I despise anything that claims human life." Snow stated immediately.

"So you're saying we should stop all of this and go back to the way it was?" Caesar asked.

Murmurs of anger rippled throughout the crowd of people.

"No." Snow shook her head.

The whispers stopped, if only briefly.

"No, we shouldn't just revert back to our old ways. And I know that...certain people will be unhappy with what I'm about to say, but it needs to be said. The Capitol has made some wrongdoings. A lot of blood remains on its hands, but a war and so many more bodies will not solve the problem. Things need to change, yes, but this is not the solution!" Snow turned to the screen to address the audience. "People of Panem, if I have said it once, I've said a thousand times. Stop this war. Stop this rebellion. I swear to you, my life is yours. I will make a change. I will end the Hunger Games. I will keep your children safe. But I can only do that if you keep them from fighting a battle they cannot win. I will fight for you, but I can not do that with bodies littering the streets and blood staining the pavement."

The screen flickered and for a second, another image replaced the screen.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"I don't know." Coin furrowed her brow. "I wasn't aware we were making an interruption in the feature."

"We're not." Beetee responded, sounding equally confused. "This isn't us."

Snow's image flickered again and was replaced with the rubble of another District.

"District 5. That's where the bombings just were." Thalia mumbled.

"You mean the bombings we partially caused?"Jerome asked.

"Yes." Plutarch responded. "But why-"

"That's why." Cressida pointed. Her finger was aimed at the image of Snow wandering around the rubble. Her face was covered in disbelief, shock, anger, and a million other emotions. Occasionally, images of present day Snow and Caesar would pop up as the Capitol 'fought' to regain the connection. Clips of Snow walking through the hospital filled with wounded intervened.