00|| the beginning of the end

hiraeth : deep longing for something, especially one's home.

August - Taylor Swift

PROLOGUE

ZELIA MOORE

I couldn't get to sleep and was staring at the ceiling when I saw Leo approaching me cautiously, trying to make as little noise as possible.

"Are you awake?" ,he whispers.

"I am now." I sighed, confused, and asked, "What do you want?"

"Can you just come?" I looked expectantly at him. "...please?"

"Okay, give me a moment."

I grabbed my jumper from the hanger and slipped my phone in my pocket, then silently put my shoes on.

"I'm ready. Where are we going?" I asked, looking up at him to see an amused expression sitting comfortably on his face.

Silence stretched between us as he refused to reply. I guess I would have to blindly trust him.

Leo's rich caramel locks reminded me of childhood boiled sweets we'd pick up from the local corner shop every Saturday, bright and early, ready to face the world. Together.

Right now, his hair stood in every direction and seemed as if he had been running his hands through them, and bags were prominent above his high cheekbones as he rubbed his eyes.

Dragging my tired feet, I glanced around, checking the hallways of the girls' dorm to make sure no one was awake as I tried to keep up with his long strides. "Slow down!" I whispered.

Grinning, he said, "Hurry up then."

He decided to wake me up from my sleep and wanted to tell me I was slow.

I'd show him.

I started speed-walking, trying to make a point and so did he, but I was still right behind him. After hearing my struggle, he turned around, grabbed me by my waist, and placed me on his back effortlessly. Tapping my thighs, he gestured for me to wrap my legs around his torso.

Placing my legs firmly around his middle, I sighed, "You didn't have to do that."

Calmly, he said, "Yeah, but I wanted to, sweetheart; the bonus is that I like your legs around me."

Cheesy pickup lines seem to be an ongoing treat I have been having to hear in recent months. According to Leo, all his recent dates love them, and I seem to be the only one who hates them. Personally, I believe they had to have been wearing noise cancelling headphones during this part of the date.

Rolling my eyes at his comment, thinking he was done talking, I placed my head on his shoulder, getting comfortable on his back as he walked briskly out of the building and through the grounds.

It was midsummer in the south of England, and during the day the heat was unbearable, but at night there was a distant breeze that made the countryside our boarding school was in seem almost magical.

Gripping my thighs tighter as he walked faster, he teased, "Knowing you, if I didn't, we'd never make it there."

I laughed, amused by his dramatics.

His laughter soon followed as he walked past the staff quarters at the rear end of the school building and towards the kitchens.

I didn't know if he was going to respond, but my curiosity got the better of me as I whispered, "What are you doing?"