05|| lock and key

kvetch : to complain, especially chronically

Vampire - Olivia Rodrigo

LEO VASQUEZ

There's a point when you've been drinking that you begin to question what's going on, and your mind is no longer as reliable as it should be.

I knew I had only taken a few sips of Alex's drink, and there was no world in which I was drunk enough to be imagining things this vividly.

However, I was starting to question if I had reached that point because the one person I never thought I'd see again was sitting in front of me.

Smiling, I realised this must be the universe's version of shit humour, because that's all it was.

A twisted fucking joke.

Even with a table between us, I could feel her stare as she tried to look anywhere but at me. I felt betrayed by fate as I looked at her with anticipation, wondering what she would do next.

Her hair must be at its longest because it sat just under her shoulders, and it was styled in a way that highlighted the contours of her face and drew attention to her eyes. Right now, her eyes seemed to be resonating with emotions that I could hardly pretend to understand.

She seemed to have decided to act like she didn't know me as she turned around to Alex and asked, "And who's he?"

For some reason, her talking about me like I wasn't even there made me pin her with my stare as I pointedly said, "His name is Leo."

If Zelia wanted to act like a fucking stranger, then so be it. Two could play at that game.

A scoff tumbled out of her lips as she stated, "And did I ask you?"

Grabbing her bag on the table, she got up to leave, and her friend, who was a bubbly ball of energy not long ago, gave me a cold stare as she waited for me to move out the way.

The click and clacks of Zelia's heels on the linoleum floors meant I could hear her anger more than I could see it. The heels she was wearing made her small frame seem taller than it actually was, and the dress she was wearing hugged her.

Pain shot up my leg as I felt a kick straight into my ankle. Trying to find the culprit, I looked at Alex and Aidan. Now it's just the three of us. Alex seemed more confrontational as he asked with a no-bullshit tone, "Is she one of your mystery fuck buddies?"

It was my turn to send a kick his way as I defended myself, "I've never been near her before, so get that out of your head."

My statement wasn't factually correct because Zelia and I had grown up together, and I had always been in her near proximity. On the other hand, I wasn't lying because it was never in the way Alex was thinking.

Adding fire to the fuel Aidan must've realised how much this topic was unnerving me as he states, "You should apologise for being a dickhead."

As soon as Alex realised what Aidan was up to, he grinned. I could tell he was interested in Zelia , and the only way he knew how to persuade her to return was for me to suck her ass as much as I could.

The deafening music playing contrasted with the heavy silence as the boys waited for my answer. Thinking it over, I realised how easily I could get answers from her as to why she was here without looking suspicious.

I didn't bother with a reply as I stood up and began to look for her in the crowd, and just before I gave up searching through the mass of people, I spotted her.

She hasn't left like I thought she had.

Interesting.

Standing at the bar, I could see her nursing what must've been one of the drinks Alex brought before I got there. I couldn't see the blonde anywhere, making this the perfect opportunity.