― 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

───── ⚔ ─────

chapter twelve: the better question is, 'who didn't we kill?'

──────────

𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐒: 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓'𝐒 𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐆 𝐕𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐀 𝐇𝐀𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐀 𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐃-𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃𝐄𝐃 𝐊𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐑. A hologram of a timer appears in the sky above the Tributes' heads. It counts down agonizingly slowly. 60, 50, 40, 30, 20... 19, 18― BOOM! 

Visha cranes her neck to the side, where the loud noise had come from. The District 3 boy is no longer standing on his metal plate. What's left of him is strewn around. The blood is bright red against the pure white of the snow. 

10. 

Her stomach churns as the District 3 boy's face flashes in her mind. 

9. 

Visha turns her attention back on the Cornucopia. 

8. 

Her legs tense, but she doesn't dare step off the plate. She doesn't want to end up like him. 

7. 

Visha's eyes scan the Cornucopia. It's nearly twenty feet high, spilling over with food, containers of water, weapons, medicine, garments, fire starters; everything that would help her survive in the arena. 

6. 

Her hands clench into fists at her side; she's ready to fight whoever she has to to get there first. 

5. 

Visha locks eyes with the boy from 1 and the girl from 4. They nod at her. Still allies, the promise hangs in the air. 

4. 

She glances around. If they other Tributes weren't scared before, they are terrified now. Still, some of their faces hold expressions of determination. Vows of not going down without a fight. 

3. 

Visha decides that she hates this feeling of anticipation. All the muscles in her body are screaming to go, go, go! But she knows, if she does, she'll be dead before her feet can hit the ground. The Capitol has ensured that no one gets a head start in anything but death. 

2. 

She turns her attention back to the Cornucopia. That was her target.