― 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

───── ⚔ ─────

chapter eighteen: not if i kill you first

──────────

𝐈𝐓'𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝟓𝐓𝐇 𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐕𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐀 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐑𝐔𝐍 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐅𝐎𝐎𝐃. She groans, chucking her backpack down to the ground. Then, she motions for Orion and Rye to follow her as she scales down the tree and lands on the forest floor. The two boys exchange a look, but follow her down. Orion does so slowly, and with great difficulty. His bear bite from the night before was still a fresh wound― the cream Visha had received in the parachute hadn't done anything for him. In fact, it almost made things worse. Orion's wound, instead of being bloody and grisly, looked nasty with it's newly green colour and white foam seeping out. 

"We're gonna have to find something to eat," Visha huffs, slinging her backpack over her shoulders. Her katana remains in it's proper place― in a scabbard attached to her back. A knife is in her trusty thigh holster. On cue, her stomach growls. She cringes. 

Rye grabs a nearby fallen branch and fiddles with it. 

"If this was 11 we'd have no problem with that," Orion mutters, shaking his head. "There are orchards everywhere. You take five steps, and you stop in front of a fruit tree." 

Rye frowns. "If this was 12 I could bake us some bread." 

Visha purses her lips. "If this was District 2... some peacekeepers-in-training would probably steal all our food," she says flatly. Her district was not known for it's abundance of agriculture nor was it known for its cuisine. The only thing 2 did well was train peacekeepers. Some of them were people from District Two itself― not from the Capitol like one would think. Visha knows this very well. After all, her parents are peacekeepers. 

"Helpful," Orion comments, before looking around the forest. "We should get going. I'm starving." He surges forward, limping, and Visha follows. 

However, Rye grabs her wrist, stopping her in her tracks. "What?" She questions, confused. 

"Where'd you get those sandwiches from?" 

"Sandwiches?" Orion repeats, turning around to show Visha and Rye his furrowed eyebrows and frowning face. He almost falls, but continues speaking, "There are sandwiches?" 

"Yeah, in the cornucopia," Visha answers. She purses her lips, thinking. "Oh my god, we should go there." 

"You're kidding," Orion mutters, slapping a hand to his forehead.

"I'm not, actually," comes Visha's reply. She shakes her head, mind running a million miles a minute. "Just think about it... The cornucopia has all the food. Blake's probably looking for us and the boy from 5 is most likely hiding somewhere. Even if one of them were at the cornucopia― we'd be able to take them, easy. Three against one," she finishes with a shrug.