Chapter 7: Snide Remarks

By the time someone came to her door, Galadriel's stomach was making songs of its cravings. Her feet were kicked up in the vanity, head tipped back over the back of the chair in plain boredom. Yet, when the door opened and she saw who entered, she found herself wishing to stay in that state of boredom instead.

"I believe I promised you a tour of my city."

"And I said I'd rather not."

"You're being extremely rude to the person currently ensuring your safety here." Galadriel tightened her jaw, sending a short-lasting glare at the High Lord. "Care to explain why?"

Because she didn't want to be there. Because he was an arrogant prat who could use a few hard blows to his egotistical swaggering. Because Azriel was annoyed by her. Because she can no longer see some of the few true friends she had made. Because—

"There's a long list of reasons," she settled on answering. "If I'm safe here, then I'll explore on my own. If I cannot, then perhaps I should winnow back to the Day Court and tell Helion that the deal is off." Galadriel tilted her head in a dangerous challenge.

Rhysand took two more steps into the chamber, observing it as though he didn't already full-well know what was inside. "I didn't bring you here on Helion's account. Perhaps I may have considered him a favour, but I didn't need to for this. I won't be staying in this city for much longer so I'd rather see to ensuring that you do not get lost and trapped down a wrong street whilst I'm otherwise occupied."

"You don't live here?"

He shook his head. "I have another city that I reside in."

Galadriel glanced down at her vanity, tracing a fingernail over the wood. "And Azriel?"

"Lives there with me." So, she'd be here in the city all alone? The thought tightened something in her throat. "Now, stand up and follow me. By the time we get back it'll be lunch. Hopefully, that'll ease your moping."

Despite herself, Galadriel stood with a rigid back, arms folded. "Show me the delights of my new home, then. I expect a special tour if it comes from the High Lord himself."

"It'll exceed any expectations." He hooked out his elbow as he had to winnow her here, but she ignored it, standing before him instead.

"They're not high."

There was no missing the rolling of his eyes. Rhysand pressed the door open, dropping his arm and she begrudgingly followed a step behind. They walked through the hall which actually widened once they turned onto another and she realised that she was in a very quiet, almost abandoned branch of whatever part of the palace they were in. Soon enough, they passed the Fae that lived in the city, clearly attending some sort of court business if they were in the palace. He spoke of sights within the palace itself, pointing out features here and there. Galadriel remained silent through most of it but filtered through as much information as she could. One could never know when it would be of use.

"This is the throne room."

Galadriel slowed, peering past the large arched entrance. The room inside was overtly generous in sizing, with polished ebony crafting every surface. It was so reflective that she could make out the face of one High Fae lingering near the entrance on the floor just before him. The ceiling was so high that she tilted off balance to look up and see it. Throughout the throne room, large colonnades supported the ceiling, fanged beats of onyx stone are carved to look as though they have climbed and settled on each. At the very end of the room, a throne sat atop a dais, the head of another one of those beasts perched near where one's shoulder would sit.