Chapter 89: Royalty in the Shadows

Her visit with Rhysand had left her in a state of bliss. Even Yarro's yapping and threats couldn't deter Galadriel's mood. Seeing him, hearing his voice and feeling the warmth of his body had reinvigorated something inside of her. It had her ready to fight whatever challenge the day decided to throw at her, and when that challenge was serving at a private brothel party, she even managed to smile as she served wine to naked faeries, pretending that she didn't at all mind the smell.

He'd opened the mating bond again, if only by a slither. She felt like a child sneaking a lick of a cake's frosting before the adults ushered her off to bed. She could feel his heartbeat thumping steadily, a little off-rhythm to hers as if they were echoing one another. They'd spent their time apart, had pretended to not know each other, denied their mate's existence. No more. If she were going to spend her life here, die here, she was going to do it remembering the last time she kissed him.

Her mood only continued to soar when she discovered Helion in one of the empty chambers she had to clean. 

Galadriel walked through the door, turning to shut it. No one bothered coming into these parts unless they got an invitation to some rambunctious gathering. The chamber was dim and a little dusty. She flicked a hand, lighting the two dozen candles scattered along the hearth mantle, the shelves decorated with iron sculptures and hanging from the overhead chandelier. And illuminated with it, the broad body of the High Lord of Day.

Her bucket cracked loudly, slamming into the door as she threw herself back. Helion lounged in a red chaise, barely looking up at the thundering of her entry. She let out a long breath, dropping the bucket to the side. "Helion," she uttered in both greeting and reprimand for not making a noise to warn her he was hiding inside.

Dark lips smoothed into a low smile. "Galadriel."

Rubbing her hands, she strode further in, surveying the room and the effort it would take her to clean as she did. "I wasn't expecting you."

"Clearly." He tilted his head back against the cushioning. "I can leave if you'd like. I'm sure there's somewhere else I can wallow in my miserable existence."

"That won't be necessary," she said. Summoning her pan and brush, she knelt by the fireplace, inspecting how deep she'd need to crawl into it. Not a cave dive, she evaluated. But she'd be filthy by the end of it. She paused before she started, glancing at the High Lord. She was tempted to ask 'How are you' but that question never merited a good answer. "Any news?" she asked instead.

Helion lifted a sandalled foot, resting it on the lowered table between them. "She's raided my libraries."

Galadriel swore under her breath. "I'm sorry." There were priceless books and artifacts in those endless aisles. The library itself wasn't a single building, but an entire complex that spanned the length of multiple estates. Even the library beneath the House of Wind couldn't compete. "Do you know what she took?"

"No," he said. "But she was looking for something specific. I don't know if she found it but I received a report that she destroyed one section of the library completely. It's impossible to tell what's missing at the moment."

"Maybe she was trying to get rid of something." Not that it helped him in any way. And it didn't help her either—the guilt of knowing Velaris remained untouched. Nearly fifteen years she and Rhys had protected it, not even a whisper of its existence muttered on any lips. She would do anything to keep it that way. Well, there went her mood—practically tossed down a ravine. "I've heard she's been in the mood for bargains recently."

Helion regarded her for a moment. "What do you suggest?" Galadriel shrugged. It wasn't a suggestion, but it also wasn't not one. The bargains the Queen Under the Mountain entered were practically trading bread for mounds of gold, but to a starving man who couldn't eat gold, the bread was too enticing. "She misses you."