Chapter 43: A Breath

Light. Extinguish.

Light.

Extinguish.

That was what Rhys had her do every day for the past two weeks. First on small candle flames. He had dampened whatever magic controlled the town house so it became her responsibility to light their table over dinner. Then it became the hearth. Anytime she wanted heat to battle mid-winter chill, she had to use her magic to ignite the wood. He twisted in other drills with a more regular form of magic—vanishing things here and there, glamouring. Of course, he could see right through most of her glamours but there were a few that got him.

A lemon that he thought was an apple, for example.

"What are you smiling at?"

Galadriel straightened her back, dropping the smile and sealing a guard around her mind as Rhysand peered curiously at her from the armchair he'd taken residence in. "Nothing. I need to go shopping for Winter Solstice. You think the weather is going to hold up?"

The page in the book he was reading crackled as he turned it. She'd offered to help him research whatever it was he was looking for, but dismissed it, telling her that he'd rather do it himself. "I'd say so. What do you plan on getting?"

Folding her arms and leaning them on the rolled arm of the lounge, she twisted her lips in thought. She'd already found something for Mor—a pair of shoes with long ties that would go up her calves, embedded with gemstones bright enough to look like diamonds. "I thought I might get Cassian some cologne."

"He likes smelling of sweat and grit. And you don't need to buy him, or the rest of us anything. I thought I told you that ages ago."

"I want to, though. Unless it will cause too much of a hassle for them if they feel the need to buy me something."

"They will and it won't."

"Do they know you speak on their behalf so flagrantly?"

"What's the benefit of being High Lord if I can't?"

Laughing, she sunk back into the soft lounge. "What should I get Cassian then?"

Rhys abandoned the book, letting it just sit in his lap. "He could do with some new leather," he said, "for his swords. Thin strips in black. The tannery will know what he needs if you go there."

She took note of it. "I've already bought Mor's and I don't think I could go too wrong there." Furling her fingers to her palm, she bit the ends of her finger knuckles. "Amren mentioned wanting an arm cuff. Would Azriel like books? I saw a few that I thought might interest him."

He gave her a little smile. "I think he would. If you ever have the pleasure of being invited into his room, you find an entire wall taken up by a bookshelf." Frowning, he added, "Not that I'm hoping you'll ever be asked there."

"And you?" Galadriel asked, forcing her gaze to remain steadily on him.

Tipping himself toward her, he jeered, "I'm insulted you don't know me well enough to know what I want."

Rolling her eyes, she spat back, "I'm not a mind reader like some people." He chuckled. "Rhys, I have... No idea. None."

He looked at her then, more serious than he had been in a while. "Buy me gloves," he said, shrugging slightly. "Buy me...a lute. Buy me a pretty vase from the Rainbow. Buy me a new boat."

Galadriel pushed herself from the seat, taking the single stride needed to reach him with great vigour, and yanked the book from his lap. "You're greedy and not helpful." She tossed the book on the low table beside the chair.