Chapter 23: Errands and Favours

Galadriel wasn't entirely sure how she ended up having the Illyrian General Commander in her sitting room, but there he was. She hadn't asked if he wanted tea, but the gesture was ingrained in her very being, the kettle boiling of the hearth the moment the knock came at her door.

"Thank you." He took the small, delicate teacup that looked like it belonged in a child's toy collection in his bearish hand. He clearly wasn't a tea person, but she thought it uncouth to offer him wine before the clocks had even struck midday. Though, he probably wouldn't have complained.

Settling down on the armchair, Galadriel politely folded her hands in her lap. "I can add more honey if you prefer it sweeter."

He sipped at it, then place the teacup aside on the table beside the larger lounge. "It's fine," he said with all kindness. "Az wanted to give you a report about the hunt for your head." Her face whitened at the label, but that quirk in the warrior's lips was enough to say that he thought the title of a hunt nothing more than a gag.

Arching a brow, Galadriel reached for her own tea. "And you've become his little pet catching up on his chores?" She wouldn't have made such a blatant tease that could be read as insult with anybody else—well, maybe with Rhysand—but there was something about Cassian's presence that imbued her with confidence.

Cassian snorted and leant back into her lounge, his wings angled awkwardly to fit in the gaps between the plush cushions. "Rhys needs to pay me more if I'm to become his court errand boy." He chuckled at the idea. "No, just a favour for a brother. He's in Hewn City right now with Mor. Something came up there."

Worry coiled like a snake preparing to attack inside her. "This couldn't wait until he got back?" She leant forward in the armchair, weight on her feet.

But Cassian waved her away. "Az just wanted to let you know that Beron has recalled all his efforts. Thought it would ease your mind to know that." Placing a hand on his chest, he said, "I tried to tell him that you knew Velaris was safe, but he insisted."

That little piece inside of her that belonged to the spymaster swelled and warmed. Azriel wanted her to know she was safe, that even if he could not tell her so himself, he would send someone just so she could relax.

She slumped against the armchair. "What about the bounty?"

"As far as I'm aware it still exists but nobody from Autumn Court is actively searching for you. Still, I wouldn't recommend it as a holiday destination. Or hopping about through other courts anytime soon."

Humour tilted her lips upwards. "No, probably not." She wasn't certain what she should feel with this knowledge, that Beron had retreated, had practically given up. There was definitely some relief, but... it didn't change much else. It was with that realisation that Galadriel fully understood her own trust in Rhysand—in his protection and promise. That she had always known in some small part of her that she was safe. This was simply confirmation.

"What have you been doing these days?" Cassian glanced around her humble home, his leathers and size amusingly out of place.

"Not much," she admitted. She pulled at the skin around her nails. "I miss my old job."

"Spying?"

"And being a handmaiden. It gave me something to do every day." Handmaiden and spy, the two things that her whole life grew around. Without them, what was she? Who was she? It made her restless. But the thought dragged in another. "I actually have a request to ask of you. A favour."

He laughed and dragged a hand down the side of his face. "Seems like that's all I'm doing these days."

Galadriel smiled to herself. "I need a letter of recommendation for a job."