Chapter 46: A Gift to Remember

Galadriel was content watching the rest of them talk in the town house's sitting room. It was already dark outside, the city a sea of golden eyes, windows into little worlds. She stood on the outskirts of the room, a smile so naturally set in place that she didn't consciously realise it was there.

The heat of the hand at her back appeared first, followed by the lips at her cheek. Blushing faintly, her grey eyes slid to look over her shoulder as Rhys placed a flute of wine in her hand. He didn't say anything, tugging her towards the only unoccupied armchair. She had left it for him to take, but Rhys had other plans, guiding her into it and perching himself on the rolled arm.

"I'm going to have to rearrange everything in here to fit another lounge," he said, sipping at his wine.

"Just put the dogs where they belong," Mor said, kicking Cassian's leg who sat in the armchair opposing Galadriel with the point of her heel. "On the floor."

Cassian's returning grin was feral. "Bitches are dogs too."

Even Amren laughed at that, and there was something wicked about the sound. Galadriel decided she never wanted the non-Fae to be laughing at her like that. Azriel was the calmest she had ever seen him. He was always quiet, cool and collected. But it was always tense, like a snake stilling before it struck. Now one of those impenetrable layers of his walls had been dismantled.

Feeling Galadriel's weighing gaze, those hazel eyes sought out hers. He smiled, as small but dangerous and enchanting as the dagger currently lodged in the sheath at his thigh.

"It's that time of the day when I bring out the presents," Rhys said to her, snagging her eyes back over her other shoulder. "So they can start ripping the wrapping instead of each other."

Galadriel drank deeply from her wine. "I still can't believe it's you they trust with them." The obnoxiously large pile of presents appeared on the table near the bookshelves. Mor leapt from her spot on the lounge, slamming her wine down as she went and began scourging the pile in a fervent hunt. "I think it should be me next year."

"I'm not sure that's the best idea," Azriel said over the sound of tearing paper—Mor had found her first present. His eyes were so bright they didn't seem to belong to him. "You are a spy after all." To Rhys, he added, "I've trained her to search through things without leaving sign. Don't trust what she says."

"You scoundrel," she gasped, launching over the unoccupied arm of her chair to thwack his resting hand. Azriel laughed and retreated from her hit. "If I did search, it would be because you commanded me to."

"On second thought—go right ahead, Rhys." Azriel was grinning now, even as Cassian shoved a present into his lap. "Galadriel is a perfect choice."

Rhys's hand slipped over her shoulder, thumb massaging the crook where it met her neck. "I think I'll retain the duty."

Settling back against the armchair, Galadriel bit her lip between her teeth, warmth blossoming like a flower in spring throughout her chest. The first present that came her way was from Amren—the book she had found about Reapers as well as a new apron. From Mor, a necklace with an emerald teardrop. Rhysand thumbed the jewel with a frown. "She never gives me anything so pretty."

"She just likes me more," Galadriel countered, touching the silver chain. Rhys laughed. She thanked him mentally when Cassian gushed about the fresh leather she'd given him for his blade hilts, admiring the still stiff and polished straps.

Azriel fell back into his quiet self. She watched him steadily as he peeled away the wrapping over the books she chose for him. After inspecting each title carefully, flicking through the first few pages of the second in the pile, he bowed his head in appreciation to her.