Feelings and Tension

Juano wouldn't let go of Mirabel as they walked back to their house. He struggled to contain his own anxiety too. Bruno was so nervous that his wife held his hand tenderly. Their children stayed close to them.

Isandra was crying. Her body quivered as sad memories from six years ago filled up her head.

"It's gonna be okay," Balthasar comforted "It's gonna be okay,"

"I can't believe they're here," she breathed hoarsely. "Out to ruin Mirabel's life again,"

"Are you sure that's the right thing to say? They looked delighted to see her,"

"We can't talk to them yet. It's just too much right now," she sniffled.

Balthasar said no more but gave her a warm hug to comfort her.

Mirabel was breathless. Juano was her guide as her eyes were glued to the grass moving beneath her. Her breathing was slow but her heartbeat was fast. Too fast to contain as she felt it hammering behind her chest. They entered through the golden door and went to the living room where they sat down.

The kitchen made tea for them. Bruno took a long sip hoping to drown out his sorrow. Gabriella told their children to go play in their rooms and Isandra just sat eating a small cake at a slow pace, Balthasar beside her.

Juano rubbed Mirabel's hand warmly. "You okay?"

"No," her voice was broken. "I'm not. What are they doing here? Why are they even here?"

"Because of the drought," Balthasar answered. "They had nowhere else to go. And all those other people needed help too,"

"No. Why were they in the town centre trying to find us? How could they just expect us to come back with them and act like everything's all right? Like nothing, they did all our lives hurt us at all? If I saw...her...I don't know what I would have done," her mind shuddered at the thought of Abeula. She touched her face, trembling at thought of a hand slapping her cheek again. "What if she's here to ruin our lives?"

"She cannot be allowed to enter this house," Bruno spoke up. "I don't want my children having her as a grandmother,"

Isandra managed to speak. "I'm so scared. My family will come for me and you Tia...what if they do something to everyone? What if they..."

"If they try to take you from me..." Bruno cupped his wife's cheek. "I will do whatever it takes to protect you. The same goes for you sobrina," he and Isandra had grown so close over the years through their love for Gabi.

"I'll make the house invisible," Juano stood up, letting go of Mirabel's hand for a moment and waving his hands. An invisible barrier covered the Casita. "Don't know how long that'll trick them though,"

"I'll gather some guys and ask them to keep an eye on the Madrigals," Balthasar said.

"That's not gonna stop them," sniffled Mirabel.

Juano moved over and hugged her. "Nothing is going to happen," behind his determination to keep Mirabel safe, he held back horror.

"Juano, we won't let Carlos enter this house," Bruno promised. "Make sure to keep an eye on him," he instructed Balthasar.

"Absolutely," he saluted. "I need to go now Isandra. I'll see you soon,"

"Be careful around them," she warned. "There's no telling what they'll do,"

He nodded and hugged her one last time before walking out of the house through the barrier.

..................................................................................................................................