Apologies and Regrets

Mirabel and Juano were helping all the wounded. It broke their hearts to see so much pain. They began to feel like they were letting everyone down. Sinfonia and Esperanza walked around, carrying baskets of food which they offered to the hungry and needy. Esperanza became tired. She didn't have very long until her foal was born. Sinfonia gently neighed, imploring her to rest and she gave in, accepting her hooves were wearing her down. She made her way back to Mirabel who stroked her gently as she lay down.

"Here you go," she gave her a few apples. "For you and your calf," she stroked her womb. "Who do you think it will be, Amor?"

"I hope it's a girl," Juano wished.

"What would you want to name it?"

Juano pursed his lips. He had been thinking of a specific name but he couldn't bring it up without upsetting himself. Balthasar approached them; a few scratches marred his arms. They winced. "Don't worry about me,"

"How is everyone?" asked Mirabel.

"They're a lot better. All injuries are not fatal," his words relieved the couple. As long as the people were alive, that's all that mattered. To them, the city was a civilisation of buildings. It was a civilisation of people. They were Milagro de Amor.

"As long as they're all right," breathed Mirabel.

"They may be. But we must act fast before something more catastrophic happens," said Juano seriously.

"I agree," said Balthasar. "Isandra's found some nearby valleys where they can take shelter in until it's safe to live here again,"

"We must get them to safety,"

"That's not the only thing I'm concerned about,"

"What is it?" Mirabel asked.

The florist bit his lip. His eyes were vibrating as he looked at Juano. "Is it okay if I say it?" he nodded, assuring him it was alright to speak. "I think Carlos is sneaking around. He's up to something very bad,". His bad news made the couple quiver. "I saw him spying on the rest of the Madrigals. And I haven't found...his other two children anywhere. Whatever it is that they're up to, it can't be good,"

Juano sprang to his feet. "Search for them! Make sure they haven't gone anywhere near that cave!"

"Absolutely. I'll go check on my friends," he dashed off. The moment he did, all that determination melted from Juano's face and he began hyperventilating slowly. Mirabel stood up and cupped his cheek, turning him towards her comforting eyes.

"It's gonna be okay. Whatever it is, that they're up to, we'll find out,"

Juano grasped her wrist gently. "Mirabel...I want you to go with the people," .

"No," she shook her head. "I'm coming with you. We're in this together,"

"If they're up to something very bad, I don't want you to get involved. I couldn't bear it if..." he felt tempted to say 'father' but the word was bitter to his tongue. "If Carlos hurt you. Or any of his other children,"

Mirabel's heart quaked hearing him speak like that. Though bravery and loyalty dominated her spirit. "I'm with you always. This is OUR HOME. And we will work together to save it,"

"Are you sure? I just want you to be safe,"

"The safest place I could ever be is with you," she cupped his other cheek and he held her other wrist. They smiled. They kissed. They embraced. Their love was the source of their miracle. And their love would be the solution to saving their home and everything they had built together.

...............................................................................................................................

Julietta and Agustin helped the injured. The citizens were amazed by the mother's knowledge of herbs and healing and were eager for her to help them. Agustin on the other hand was a little clumsy. They didn't like him as much. Their daughters and Dolores approached them.