A Dark History

So sorry for the long wait. I was facing a bit of writer's block and I got carried away with another story. But it's here as promised. Enjoy it. 

...............................................................................................................................

Julieta and Agustin were sitting quietly with their daughters near a campfire. Isabella offered her mother some tea and she accepted it, taking a long, quiet sip from the rim of the cup.

"It will be okay mum," Luisa tried to keep her spirits. "I know that Mirabel will want to see you, papa and Antonio. And when you three do, you can explain everything to her and it will all work out,"

Juliet couldn't speak.

"It's gonna take more than that," Alma approached them with her crane. "May I...take a seat?"

The father nodded. She sat down slowly on a log, Isabella gently supporting her. "I...have to speak to her. And Bruno,"

"Promise me you'll make it right with them," Agustin implored.

"I will. I have to fix this," 

Right after she spoke, they heard the sound of a neighing horse and the entire family turned around to see Elonzo approaching them. He looked sinister but something tingled in Antonio's spine. "Mirabel...has agreed...that she'll speak to you Julieta, Agustin and Antonio," the family were elated with joy. Julieta hugged her husband and the parents hugged their daughters. Camilo and Dolores eagerly hugged Antonio before their parents hugged them. No left out from their group hugs, Alma smiled a little bit. "The rest of you are not allowed to come," 

Alma wouldn't have it. "Sir...if you could just..."

"It's only them or no one comes. None of them want to talk to anyone else...especially you Alma Madrigal,"

Julieta spoke up, seeing this was making her grandmother more unsettled than others. "Thank you so much for delivering her message. When can we see her?" 

"She needs a moment to prepare herself,"

"We can't wait another moment!" Agustin stood up, defiantly. Since hearing that answer, he had felt his heart skipping for joy at the thought of having his beloved glass-wearing daughter back in his arms again. "We want to see her now!" 

"I'm sorry but she needs a while to keep herself calm. Your unexpected visit has formed a dark cloud over the entire family's heads," Elonzo's arguments continued to rouse the Madrigals. 

As they argued, Antonio saw some of his friends nearby. He recognised them as the kids Mirabel had sung to all those years ago, the ones who had kept pestering her with the question of what gift she had before Dolores blurted out her lack of magical power. He snuck away. "Guys...Mirabel wants to see me and my tio and tia,"

"That's wonderful," praised the ten-year-old with long black hair in a plait. 

"But the guy won't let us see her quite yet. I can't wait another moment. Can you help me sneak over to see her?"

"Of course," the kids said. 

Antonio took a sideways glance to make sure no one was watching. "Let's go," he whispered. Together they snuck away from the camp and into the streets without anyone spotting them. Or so they thought. 

Carlos observed them from behind a tent. He looked at Mariana. "You're to follow them and spy on them. You come back when you hear something. Got it?"

She smiled. "As you wish father," She pulled a hood over her hair and stuck it off.