six | last ditch attempt

-SIX-

"I had an extra hand," Wednesday nodded at Thing, who waved and scuttled down the stand, tapping off inside the room.

"Whoa. Where's the rest of him?" Enid asked, a little grossed out.

"It's one of the great Addams family mysteries." Wednesday replied, placing her cello down.

"Why aren't you wolfing out?" Wednesday asked. Juniper inhaled sharply, knowing that it was a sensitive subject for her best friend. She moved over to her, and placed a comforting hand on Enid's shoulder.

"Because I can't," said the poor girl. She flexed her nails, and added, "It's all I got." Looking up at the night sky with a heartbreakingly longing gaze, she continued, "My mom says some wolves are late bloomers, but I've been to the best Lycanologist. I had to fly to Milwaukee, would you believe it?"

Juniper carefully rubbed gentle circles on the young blonde's back, as she sadly continued, "Yeah, she says there's a chance I may never...you know."

"What happens then?" Wednesday asked, getting a little curious.

"I'd become a lone wolf." Enid shrugged, as the pigtailed girl leaned against the stone railing of the balcony.

"Sounds perfect." The girl admitted.

"Are you kidding me? My life would be officially over. I'd be kicked out of my family pack with no prospect of finding a mate." Enid's voice wavered, and Juniper stepped back, knowing how unregulated the girl could get when she was upset.

"I'm failing to see the problem here." Wednesday's monotone was beginning to annoy the dryad, as she felt appalled at the girl's lack of feeling.

"I could die alone." The blonde exclaimed, trying to make a point and extract a little empathy from her supposed friend.

"We all die alone, Enid." Wednesday replied coldly.

Enid sniffled, "You really suck at this. Cheering people up."

"Why are you crying?" The girl sounded genuinely confused.

"Because I'm upset!" Enid exclaimed, voice trembling with sadness. "Haven't you ever cried, or are you above that too?"

Wednesday thought for a moment, and recalled with a sad undertone of painful nostalgia, "It was the week after Halloween. I was six years old. I took my pet scorpion, Nero, out for his afternoon stroll, and we were ambushed. They wondered what kind of freak would have a scorpion for a pet." Juniper gasped softly, feeling the familiar sting of anger towards the cruelty of children, as Wednesday continued, "Two of them held me down and made me watch...while the others ran Nero over until..."

The black haired girl took a moment to compose herself and continued, "It was snowing when I buried what was left of him. I cried my little black heart out. But tears don't fix anything. So I vowed to never do it again."

Enid wiped away her own tears, while Juniper kept herself from letting some fall, for she knew the pain of being bullied and losing a dear companion.

"Your secret's safe with me," Enid reassured the girl. "And I know Junie doesn't spill stuff."

"Only because I have no one else to spill to. Who am I going to tell, my plants?" The dryad scoffed.

"Ignore her dumbassery," Enid chuckled. Looking over at Wednesday she admitted, "I still think you're weird as shit though."

"The feeling's incredibly mutual." Wednesday nodded in return. She thought for a moment and asked, "How would you like your single room back? You just need to show me how to use your computer." She turned to Juniper, "And you need to deliver a message for me."