thirty four | one step at a time

-THIRTY FOUR-

The forest was dark, yet hauntingly beautiful as Wednesday and Juniper walked together. They didn't speak, and the silence hung heavily over them, whilst they made their way through the forest. The dryad cleared out a way for her friend, making it easier to get to her destination, shaking her head silently when the goth began to thank her.

"What're you going to say when you need me?" The dryad asked, her gaze moving from marking each tree to Wednesday.

"You'll know when I'll need you, Juniper," replied Wednesday. As they entered the clearing where Tyler was to arrive, she added, "I'm sorry. For everything. My judgement was clouded by heartbreak, and my analysis was completely misaligned. I shouldn't have destroyed your trust all over again by framing Xavier."

"That was very wrong of you, Wednesday," said the redhead, putting her palm towards the ground and growing vines of poison ivy in the shape of a decently large pentagram, wide enough to hold a person. "Xavier is my best friend. You practically ripped a brother away from me."

"I know," nodded the goth, standing in front of her, hands clasped over each other. "And I am the most sorry for it." She took a deep breath in, her jaw tensing as she continued, "You mean...a lot to me. So much that I am actually apologising to you repeatedly, something which I never do."

"Am I supposed to thank you for basic human decency?" Juniper raised an eyebrow.

"No," the goth shook her head. "What I'm saying is...you bring out a side in me which I didn't think I had. You make me...feel things. These past few days where we've been...apart, I've felt empty. And not in a good way," she clenched her jaw in frustration as she looked at Juniper's face, unable to get the words out properly, because her mind was rushing with overwhelm and emotion, two things she wasn't used to.

"What're you trying to say?" Asked the dryad, confused.

"What I'm trying to say is...I seem to—I seem to still have a deep emotional connection with—" she cleared her throat awkwardly, and rephrased her statement, "I'm still in love with you, Juniper Carrow. You mean the world to me. I lied when I said you meant nothing to me. I was blinded by anger, emotion and bad judgement , and I've said so many things I don't mean."

The goth looked at her with pleading eyes as she said, "Can you please love me again? Can you...can I be yours again?"

Kelpie rubbed his body against Juniper's feet, meowing in a way which she understood as 'forgive her'. When she hesitated, she felt a soft breeze flutter around her neck, and a familiar, archaic voice whisper in her ear, 'accept.'

"I think...I think I can love you again. It's not like I ever really stopped," sighed the redhead. She felt her stomach flip, and her mind whisper a 'yes'. "And yes. You may be mine once again. On one condition, though. Only if you're true to your apology and you won't break my trust again."

"I'm true to it," said Wednesday, her eyes welling with tears, shocking her hidden onlookers, who had apparently arrived early. "And I swear on my own head that I will never break any apology to you every again."

Hearing the familiar swear, Juniper leapt at Wednesday, catching the goth in a hug so tight, it nearly knocked the smaller girl off her feet. The redhead's face pressed against the goth's hair, and her arms were wrapped around her waist tightly as she hugged her, scared to let go.