Another day at the beach

Flashback
Both of Ruby's parents stood across from each other in the living room fighting at 3 in the morning, not knowing that their nine year old daughter was standing at the doorway, wondering why her mom and dad were fighting again.

"You always made me aware of what I was doing wrong! How I was falling short! Life with you is joyless!" Her dad yelled making the girl jump back slightly at his tone.

Her mom glared as tears filled her eyes.

"What? So you had to go and fuck someone else?!" She yelled.

"You shouldn't be upset that I fucked her, you should be upset that I had a laugh with her!" He yelled.

"Do you love her?!" She yelled.

"No. But she didn't hate me. You hated me!"

"You hated me! You fucked somebody we worked with!" She said.

"You stoped having sex with me in the last year! I never cheated on you!"

"That was cheating on me!"

"But there's so much I could've done! I was a director in my 20s who came from nothing and suddenly I'm on the cover of a magazine! I was hot shit and I wanted to fuck everybody and I didn't! And I loved you and I didn't want to lose you, but I'm in my 20s! And I didn't want to lose that too and I kinda did! And you wanted so much so fast! I didn't even want to get married or have a kid!" He yelled.

"Fuck it! There's so much I didn't do!"  He yelled again.

"Thanks for that!" Mom said.

"Your welcome!" He said.

"I can't believe I have to know you, forever!" She yelled.

Dad hit the wall creating a hole.

"You're fucking insane! And you're fucking winning!" He yelled.

"Are you kidding me?! I wanted to be married and have our beautiful daughter! I already lost! You didn't love me as much as I loved you!" She said.

"What does that have to do with anything?" He asked.

She stared at him in disbelief.

"What?!"

"You're so merged with your own selfishness, you don't even identify it as selfishness anymore!" She stated.

"You're such a dick!" She yelled.

"Everyday I wake up and I hope you're dead! Dead like I hope you get an illness or fucking get hit by a car and die!" He snapped.

The room went silent as the tension rose and he cried in frustration on the floor while she stood there trying to take in what was just said.

He then got up and went outside, slamming the door behind him.

The cries of their daughter were heard soon after. Her mom whipped her head around with wide eyes to the child in the corner, realizing she heard and saw everything.

Ruby sat there with her eyes shut and hands to her ears and her knees to her chest as she tried to block out the noise while saying 'please make them stop' to herself.

"Oh honey." Her mother said as she scooped the child up into her arms. The girl clung to her tightly.

"I don't like it when you guys fight." She said. Her mom sighed and rubbed her back as she tried to hold back her tears to stay strong for Ruby.