One

First Year,
First Time For Everything

The Fawley household was preparing to host their rather small family for dinner, in the hopes of cheering their daughter up. Aurora their darling daughter was a tad nervous about attending Hogwarts, they hoped with her cousins coming for dinner they might be able to offer some form of assurance for her.

"Aurora, Jessica and uncle Sam are here," her mother called, she double-checked that her hair looked fine before heading downstairs to greet them.

"Hi, Jess," she embraced her oldest cousin, a Hogwarts graduate and Gryffindor alumni "did you have a good summer,"

"Yes, I personally can't wait for next summer my dad and I are going to my grandparents,"

"The Muggle ones?"

"Yes the muggles ones," Aurora and Jessica waited for their other cousins to arrive, late as usual.

Though she couldn't blame them this time, her mother's brother Jack Parker had fallen ill over the summer, and his family were struggling to cope. Her uncle Sam, along with her mother and father helped where they could, he's on the road to recovery but taking longer than people expected.

She always envied her cousins having muggle ancestry, not that she wasn't proud of her own heritage. She just hated appearing stupid or confused when they would talk about various muggle things that she didn't understand.

When her cousins Louisa and Katherine arrived with her aunt Elizabeth the families sat down for tea. Her mother asked about her brother, he still wasn't feeling well enough to get out of bed, she could see her mother's worry.

"What house do you two think you'll be in?" uncle Sam asked

"I don't know, I want to be in Hufflepuff like my parents," Aurora admitted, she turned to Katherine waiting for her answer

"I don't mind, which house I'm in as long as we're in the same one,"

"What if you're both in Slytherin?" her father said, the whole family burst into laughter,

"You're joking there hasn't been a Slytherin in the Parker bloodline ever," her mother stated, my brother a Ravenclaw and my dear late sister, she looked at Sam with a sympathetic smile, "a Gryffindor,"

"You never know, there's a first time for everything," her aunt Elizabeth said, smiling at the two girls.

"She won't be in Slytherin I'm sure of it, but if either of you are we'll love you no less," her mother said, offering her a soft smile.

As the next day came, it was the moment she had been dreading. Of course, she had always feared that out of her four cousins she would be the unlucky one that would be sorted into Slytherin house. There was nothing wrong with Slytherins themselves, it was becoming an outcast that she hated, she knew from her older cousins, Jessica and Louisa, that Slytherins were practically shunned by the school.

They admitted that even the headmaster seemed to hold a grudge, heavily favouring the other houses over Slytherin. She didn't want to become an outcast, especially when it came to her family she loved them and didn't want them to see her differently if she was sorted into Slytherin.

The only thing she would wish for, if she were to be sorted into Slytherin, would be that her housemates were nice, honest and the kind of people she could see herself being friends with. She quietly carried her trunk downstairs dropping it down the final step.

"I could have brought that down for you," her father said, sighing as she lifted the trunk upright.

"I got it downstairs didn't I,"

"I suppose, we're ready to leave when you darling," she nodded.

She couldn't stomach eating breakfast and then being stuck on a train for hours. If she would get something to eat at Hogwarts, her cousins always said they enjoyed the start-of-term feast. As they made it to the King's Cross station her father didn't waste any time eagerly running through the barrier with her.

"I've missed doing that," he said, with a smile on his face, she looked all around her, there were loads of families here waving goodbyes to their children.

"I should probably board the train," she hugged her mother and father

She watched as they were waiting for the train to leave, she found a compartment where they could easily see her. Her eyes widen as a big crowd of students poured through the barrier their family was huge, she was distracted by a boy who seemed equally as lost as she did.

"I've been looking all over the bloody place for you," Katherine said, out of breath as she sat down beside her.

"Sorry," she muttered

"Are you feeling okay?" Aurora shook her head, "we're going to be fine, Jess said there's nothing to be scared of-

"Your kidding right, Jessica's scared of everything, besides she's left Hogwarts, probably on her way to a boring desk job, there's nothing scary about them,"

"Other than utter boredom," Katherine said, making her chuckle, "this is a new adventure for us, a chance to reinvent ourselves, we can be anyone we want to be at Hogwarts,"

"Does that mean you won't spend all your time in your room, reading or studying as I'm sure you most likely will," she doubted that Katherine would change at all.

"No, I'll be with you, we'll do everything together," her mother and father knocked on the window. Waving at them as the horn of the train signalled they were preparing to depart.

"Hi, Aunt Lauren, Uncle Hector," Katherine waved to her parents as they wished them both a swift and easy journey.

She knew that Katherine was trying to cheer her up, she started to tell her a story about a rude boy that needs to learn some manners. Though she couldn't say she was one hundred per cent listening her mind wandered elsewhere, gazing at the fields out of the window, wondering where her journey would take her.