𝟏𝟏» ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴜʀɪᴏᴜs ᴄᴀsᴇ ᴏғ ᴅᴀᴍᴏɴ sᴀʟᴠᴀᴛᴏʀᴇ

"Another man is what you'll seeWho looks like you and looks like meAnd yet, somehow he will not feel the same

Who looks like you and looks like me
And yet, somehow he will not feel the same."

~ Melancholy Man//The Moody Blues

THE SEA OF SUMMER GRASS STRETCHED FAR BEYOND THE APPLE ORCHARD

THE SEA OF SUMMER GRASS STRETCHED FAR BEYOND THE APPLE ORCHARD. A river gently meandered through the meadow, a pepper of wildflowers and daisies along its length. On the cushiony floor, I lay while my dusty blonde confidante wandered around, checking for ripe apples.

Though occasional, our rendezvous seemed to last longer and be more vivid than any other dream I had.

"So what do we think about him?" I asked aloud. One of the perks of talking to yourself was that you didn't need to spell everything out.

"Well, your friend seems..." Nick's disembodied voice supplied from behind the trees. "...muddled. What's the point of being with someone you can't be yourself with?"

And perk number two—you can count on it to voice the things you wouldn't.

"Anyways, It's best not to dwell on things we have no control over. Let's talk about you, love. How do you feel after your little heart-to-heart?"

"I'm okay. Just trying to take it all in, I guess." Hearing the soft crunch of grass under his feet, I sat up.

Nick's lips pulled wide as he joined me. "And do you think you can?" he held out the basket of apples and I picked one, mumbling a thanks. "Take it all in? Accept the good with the bad?"

Can I?

I looked down at the apple in my hands. Dark red and sinfully tempting. 

Stefan was the forbidden fruit they had warned me about. My father, John Winchester, Dean. Never trust a monster, they had taught again and again. I fell for one. Willingly tasted the damned apple knowing the consequences.

Was this the punishment for my disobedience? Falling for someone who could never love me back?

"I mean I'll have to if I want him in my life," mused I. "You can't just love a part of someone. Outliving the bad is a part of his journey. But... he is the ripper..." the monster in the storybooks adorning my shelves.