𝟏𝟓» ᴛʜɪs ғᴇᴇʟɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀʟʟ ʟᴏᴠᴇ

"It's always one step forward and three steps backDo you love me, want me, hate me? Boy, I don't understand

Do you love me, want me, hate me? Boy, I don't understand

~1 step forward, 3 steps back//Olivia Rodrigo

THROUGHOUT HIS LIFE, DAMON HAD STEERED CLEAR OF MOMENTS LIKE THESE

THROUGHOUT HIS LIFE, DAMON HAD STEERED CLEAR OF MOMENTS LIKE THESE. His plan would be simple. To practice caution, to lay low, and to not get involved. That's how he stayed at the top of the food chain for more than a century.

And here he was today, the apex predator turned into a prey.

The engineers of this grand plan were the same ones who once took away the love of his life. A Forbes, a Lockwood, and a Gilbert. The most astounding part though, was that Damon wasn't furious...yet.

The squad of police officers encircling them had Ric on his knees beside him. Behind Alaric's broad frame, cradled against Elena's chest was an unconscious Stefan. He had been shot twice before Damon was even dragged out into the backyard.

All that followed was Liz emptying the magazine of her gun into his body as a response to his refusal towards answering her questions.

Then she sprinted out the door, the one he had been searching for the entire time. A semblance of hope, but even as she tried her best, the girl couldn't save them from her mother's wrath.

"Step aside, Serena. That's an order," If her maternal love couldn't get her daughter to comply, Liz decided she needed to play her last card.

Serena's thoughts contradicted each other. The huntress implored her to stop, wait on the sidelines with the appalled teenagers who helplessly looked on. However, the thing inside her chest disagreed.

"I can't do that," she scoffed. "I came here as your daughter, not the council's weapon. I have a brain of my own today."

"I could have you ousted for that, you know," Carol Lockwood reminded her, folding her hands over her chest.

"Oh, I'll willingly quit right now."

"There's no need for that," Liz raised her voice. Wiping a hand over her face, the woman's voice hardened. "Take her."