51

the Slytherins arrived just after midday, appearating onto the front lawn and making their way indoors.

Draco pulled Enzo, Theo and Blaize aside and led them to the attic.

"what's going on?" Theo looked around at us all.

"we need you to find our Father's horcruxes." Tom told them bluntly.

"what?" Blaize frowned.

"we have these," i held up the ring and the locket. "we know Nagini is one, and we have a feeling Potter is another."

"so we have to track down the rest?" Enzo figured.

"we'll handle Potter and Nagini," Tom nodded. "you'll need to destroy the rest."

"how are we meant to do that?" Theo raised his eyebrows.

"you'd know if you were awake during Defence Against the Dark Arts." Blaize rolled his eyes.

despite the situation, the corner of my lips turned up as i recalled Enzo and Theo snoring through the lessons.

"you can count on us," Blaize promised.

"i knew you wouldn't let us down." i smiled. "you're good friends... good men."

the air in the room was thick and heavy as we all hugged our willing helpers in goodbye.

"we'll see you later, yeah?" Theo hugged me tight.

"yeah," i whispered back, even though we both knew there was no guarantee.

"you know how to destroy them?" Tom quizzed Blaize.

"yes, Tom, i do." he sighed.

"be careful," he gripped Blaize's shoulder. "i know how much the three of you mean to them." he nodded in our direction.

Blaize nodded. "we won't fail you."

"good," Tom took a step back. "everyone is counting on the three of you."

"we know," Enzo spoke up. "we'll do you proud."

they all headed for the door, Theo was the last to leave.

"see you later, then." he smiled sadly.

"later," i swallowed hard.

and then they were gone, their footsteps echoing down the rickety stairs and eventually fading into nothingness, leaving us in the same thick silence.

"well," Tom cleared his throat. "there's a lot to get on with. we have to make sure nobody suspects anything."

"the port keys..." i mumbled. "we were finding them."

"what about the letter?" Matteo held up the aged paper.

"we never saw it." Tom took it and folded it up, tucking it into his pocket.

"and if someone figures out what we're doing?" i asked Tom.

"you know what to do."

and i did.

i had done it before, and to protect myself and those i held closest in my heart, i would do it again without hesitation.

Tom nodded and left.

"i've never killed anyone." Pansy spoke up.

"me neither," Draco seconded.

Matteo and i shared a look.

"don't think about it." Matteo advised. "if it comes between you and them you'll make a judgement call, and it will always be them."

Pansy bit her lip but nodded her head.