Chapter 4: Nightmares

Civil War-2016

It was two am in the morning, and Natasha couldn't sleep because of her nightmares. Usually, they appear a few times a month, but when too much is happening. She cracks, and her demons reap much more robust than last time.

She knows that she will not sleep tonight. The sweat was covering her, and she took off her red sweater that showed a black tank top. Natasha leaves her room quietly, not to wake up Steve, that was sharing her bed.

When she arrived in the standard room, the light was off, and we could hear a shaky breath. The only brightness was the shop's luminance reflected in the windows.

Natasha opened a little lamp and saw James sitting on the sofa with his hands covering his face. She sat next to him and tried to remove his greedy hair from his face.

"Nightmares ?" Natasha asked him in a soft voice.

He nodded and looked down like he was ashamed of something.

"I have nightmares too, don't be ashamed of it," as she took his hand. James looked at Natasha with a sweaty face. Glancing at her green eyes and then time stopped for a moment. Before she notices her eyes getting blurry, she remembers the memories that they had created together in the Red Room, and that will never happen again.

Natasha broke eye contact looking down to hold her tears back. She never cried in front of someone, only when she was alone. She usually had to hold them back and put herself together again, as nothing happened, as Hydra taught her. Never show your emotions.

"Did I do something wrong, Nat?" James questioned her, concerned

" No" Her voice started to crack, but before he could hear it, she finished her sentence, " James. "

"Why don't you do a bun instead of keeping your hair like this ?" She chuckled, trying to change the subject.

"Don't know," James replied, shrugging his shoulders.

"Can I ?" Natasha questioned in a tiny voice. James nodded and let Natasha get behind Bucky. She started to touch his hair which was a bit greasy, but she didn't care. She gently passed her fingers into his hair, trying to make a bun. The bun was messy and loose. Some hair strand was flowing, and Natasha put them behind his ears.

"Wow, soo much better !" She complimented him softly and went to the bathroom to take a cold watery towel to sponge his face. Nat stood in front of him, and as she was closer to him, she could feel him breathing. She let out a gentle smile. Her cheeks went pinky again, and she finishes to wipe the sweat off his face.

" Feels nice, thank you, Natasha," James thanked her with a sleepy voice. Nat came back to the couch next to him. She took half of the blanket to be comfier. The two weren't talking. We could hear the cars driving on the road. Nat wanted terribly to ask this stupid question that wouldn't leave her mind until she asked.

"Hey James," Natasha cleared her throat

"Nat," Bucky responds, observing her face. He couldn't let his eyes from her face and her luminous green eyes.

"Do, hum, do you remember the Red Room?" Natasha asked while her heart was beating speedily.

"Kinda, but it's blurry. One time, I saw a redhead, and I had to train her, but it was blurry.." James answered

"Did you see her face? She asked nervously, hoping that he would remember her. Her eyes were too full of hope.

"No, nobody had a face," He answered, trying to remember.

"The redhead," Nat said, watching him with painful eyes

"Yeah, what's wrong with her?" He replied confused

"It's, hum," she took a quick breath " It was me." Looking down at her feet.

"Really?" James let out a small voice

Natasha looked up to the roof with blurry eyes and put her head down again.

"You were my trainer when I was in the Red Room. You had to train the girls so that they become maybe Black Widows. But something happened between us," she chuckled. "We, hum, we were kind of dating at this time," she cracked off, laughing with a smile.

"Wow," he said before cracking up too. Nat gave him a friendly blow on the shoulder with a smirk.

"Ouch!" He looks at her like she hurt her.

"Aren't you the Winter Soldier, by the way" She chuckles

"Yeah, hilarious, Nat," James said with a pissed look.

She cleared her throat and finished the anecdote.

"So, we're dating secretly, but one time we're making out, and Madame B caught us. We're separated, and they brainwashed you." She finished remembering the memories.

"Like really making out? That had to be embarrassing tho.." He questioned

"No, just kissing" She laughed, putting her hand on her face

"Off," He sighed, reassured

"What? I had no problem doing that" She smirked

"You want to do it now? He asked with a flirty tone.

She pushed his face with her hand and chuckled. She lays down on his shoulder and closes her eyes.

"When you will be romantic, Barnes," she giggled

"I can be romantic!"James tried to convince her.

"Shut up, sleeping time," she said with a sore voice

"Yoh, look like a baby Nat, you know that ?" He whispered while putting his flesh arm around her shoulder. And fell asleep too in her arms.

Note: So that was a wrap for today! I will love to hear your thoughts about the story. Have a good night! 🫶🏻