Chapter 8: The Taskmaster

"Babe, the electricity went out. I have to go check." He whispered in a soft voice. And caress her checks with his flesh arm.

"Mmh," Natasha murmured before rubbing her eyes and getting up, putting on her red hoodie, and tying her hair into a messy ponytail.

The two ran out to check the back of the van. James had a gun in his pocket in prevention while scanning the surrounding while Natasha was trying to repair it.

"The fuel ran out. We have to go to the gas station." Natasha admitted with a sleepy voice while taking the empty fuel container.

"Hey, you're not going alone, Natasha. I don't want that something happens to you...." James walked along with Nat, that was heading to the car.

"I will be back in one hour, James." She replied with a confident voice without looking behind her.

No, you're not going alone!" He told her, running towards her. Putting his hand on her cheeks. "Everyone is looking for us, and I just don't want to lose you again, Natasha.." James said, concerned.

"Alright," She sighed in a sleepy voice. We entered both in the car.

"Do you have some cap and sunglasses, babe ?" He asked softly, watching the rear viewfinder.

"I have some, don't worry," Nat answered with a chilly voice.

They were at twenty minutes from the nearest gas pump. As they came out of the forest, a bridge appeared; some few lamps illuminated the road. Nobody was on the road, and it was two in the morning. The sky was so clear that we could see the stars reflecting on the lake. James and Natasha were listening to the radio playing « One Dance.» The two of them had never been able to listen to music before because of their lack of time.

"40's music is bett-," A car crashed into theirs, cutting his sentence. Natasha was unconscious and started twisting himself and crushing the bridge barrier. James was still conscious and had some cuts on his forehead and cheeks. Their car swayed between crashing into the lake or staying on the bridge. James detached Natasha from her seatbelt, the car went forward, and the glass broke. Nat woke up, and James took the borrowed gun from her. The two were breathing heavily, trying not to put too much weight on the front of the car.

A robotic figure was walking in their direction. They had a mask so the two Hydra assassin couldn't see their face.

"I'm pretty sure Ross has no jurisdiction here," Natasha told the masked person with a heavy voice.

Nat and James were crawling to the back of the car as Natasha went forward to the widow.

"And you should know, I'm a better shot when I'm pissed off!" Nat smirked, shouting at the masked.

"I can assure you she tried to kill me more than you thought!"James replied while recharging his gun.

Natasha shot the guy multiple time, and her gumballs went out while she was recharging them. The masked assassin launched his shield in the window. They gasped and came out through the back widow. Nat jumped on one knee with her gun in front of her face. James was behind her with Natasha's gun.

As they focus on founding where the assassin is, James turns back his head behind him. The masked jumped from behind and surprised them while Nat and Bucky shot him multiple times. But the Masked was covered by his shield. The robot kicked Natasha and James punched him in the face with his metallic arm, but the Masked kicked him in the face. Nat puts her legs between his neck and tries to smash his head but was threw on the ground. She was looking intensively at the masked. At the same time, Bucky was behind him and wrapped his arms around his neck. James took him by surprise, but the Masked punched him into the barrier. The assassin looks toward a box next to the rest of the car and walks toward the black box. James grunted while he was getting up with his metallic arm and spit some blood out of his mouth.

"You're not here for me," She murmured while taking a knife and trying to cut the mask. But the Masked grabbed her by the hair punching her head hard. She grounded, attempting to get up. The assassin hit her in her belly, and Natasha threw on the floor

"Nat!" James yelled, trying to get to her.

Natasha was gasping for air with a hand on her belly. James offered help while Natalia grabbed her hand to get up. The Masked tried to kick James, but the Winter Soldier had already taken his arm and thrown him to the floor. While Nat ran to take up the items from the black box, the Masked was already behind her and tossed her into the river.

"Natasha! " James screamed as he jumped in the river...